Saturday, December 10, 2022

White Wolf

 

Photo by Cory Storb


White wolf,
sensitive, intuitive, bright
and gentle soul,
you belonged to another
who was made of darkness.

You loved the peacefulness
in me, turned towards my door
at every passing.
Jealous, he would haul you away,
yelling angrily.

At the end,
we exchanged one long sad look
through my front window.
You didn't understand
why he woouldn't let you
see me.

Thankfully,
he finally grew enraged enough
to let you go,
and you were liberated.
You were happy at the SPCA,
which tells the whole story.

When men came to meet you,
you growled.
You had had enough of men.
One day, an older woman came.
I think you thought it was me,
come to get you.
They said you ran up to her,
tail wagging,
and she took you home.

I would have kept you if I could,
one more wolf I loved
and could not save.
The next best thing
is to believe
my love prepared you
for your life with her.

I miss you,
every day,
but am so glad
that you are free.

for The Sunday Muse.  I miss him. He was such a beautiful boy.



13 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is enough to know a loved one is safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would choose this image ... write a remarkable, and personal, poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were the one to show him love and let him know that not all humans are cruel. It paved the way to a new home with peace.

    You my friend were a blessing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. one more wolf I loved
    and could not save... this is so sad but am glad the dog found a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story, Sherry. I'm glad the fellow left. Too bad he couldn't stay with you, the writer. But I'm thinking he will be okay in the wild.
    Oh yes, I was thinking of you when I first saw Carrie's list.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleased that white wolf found a good home

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, this is heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Preparing the way is a hard task.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you played a key role in both freeing the wolf from cruelty of its prior "owner" and prepared the wolf for a new life of kindness and freedom. Beautiful story, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You prepared him to be loved. What a blessing.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog Sherry

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, this is so heartfelt...I felt both your love for the wolf and her love for you. So wonderful, I think you prepared the wolf to love and be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even thought your heart hurts, it is so good to know he found a home. I knew we would both pick this image.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.