Thursday, December 29, 2022

Looking for a Fairy Door

 


We tripped across the forest floor.
The green trees formed a maze.
I was looking for a fairy door
to escape my wistful days.

But I was just a mortal
accustomed to the blues,
no luck finding a portal,
no bright red magic shoes.

I told her of a vision
I had had, a ghostly tale.
It brought a tear into her eye
and made her face go pale.

There was a humming all around us,
and I was searching for a song.
The trees and bees were buzzing
as we wandered all along.

It was the sunniest of summers,
the sky a purity of blue,
and had I seen the years that lay ahead
I would have wept, then, too.


for Shay's Word List, inspired by Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale, such a haunting melody.

9 comments:

  1. Indeed, it's a good thing that we can't know the future, we'd lose our minds and give up if we could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sherry, poet, memoirist, star dreamer, I wish you a Happy, Health filled New Year. Thank you for being a constant and wonderful friend to Shaista. Sending good thoughts and Love always - Perveen

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful saudade that captures that sense of melancholic longing we have when "the world is too much with us." Wishing you a happy new year, Sherry, full of blessing and beautiful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But I was just a mortal
    accustomed to the blues,
    no luck finding a portal,
    no bright red magic shoes."

    oh i wish there was such a portal. love the sounds in this poem, and great use of the word list

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Sherry, with a poignant ending. Has a bit of a Pan's Labyrinth energy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more. The last few years have been really tough. It's so hard to stay positive. But this is a beautiful poem. I love how you've used the words and also kind of kept with the mood/theme of the original song. I'm from https://outofthecave.blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a way to begin the New Year with this stellar poem. It is truly magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness I love this poem. I too wish I could find a fairy door, a place of magic and escape. Beautiful writing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.