Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Song of My Life

Moonrise over the Broken Group Islands
photo by Jon Merk



The song of my life is the summer breeze
dancing within the rustling trees
it's the murmuring shore, the waves' ebb and flow
it's the beauty of nature wherever I go
it's the call of the mountains, the tumbling falls,
it's the riverbed green, and the canyon walls,
it's sunrise and sunset, the golden glow
of a fall afternoon as the sun sinks low
it's the smell of smoke on the evening air
it's the howl of the wolf, the growl of bear
it's the cackling hen and the warbling wren
the fox's leap over the cattle pen
it's the translucent light on the sandy shore
glorious beauty spread all before
it's the moon that crosses the midnight sky
 the beauty that forever draws my eye
it is, most especially, the song of the sea,
ever drawing away, then returning to me.


for earthweal's open link, I clicked on September 10, 2014, and found this. I forget most of my poems after I write them, as I write so many.

8 comments:

  1. It's this undeniable delight in the world. A rapture of a poem Sherry, a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rhyming couplets ...I forget my poems too after I write them...I have written thousands....so have you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, the opening line is dancing around my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget many of them too! And it's always fun to pull out one from the archives- though sometimes I wonder and cringe at my own work:) This poem is so lyrical.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful and peaceful poem. I realize I should try to publish some of my earlier work, but I'm always more interested in what I'm currently creating. Maybe that's an ADHD thing, or maybe everyone's like that. For my own part, I can't do the thing of making a month's worth of meals ahead and freezing them, because I'll forget to eat them. I want to move on to the next recipe. That's the kind of funny little trick that ADHD likes to play with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The song of your life is beautiful - thank you for sharing this wondrous poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I believe you! I'm sure there is complete reciprocity by now, too. And I love the dancing rhyme, as that curious little one living inside you skips down the lane making friends all the way to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the integration of hen and wren, fox and cows, that I like best about this poem. Humans and domestic animals are part of the natural world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.