Friday, January 8, 2021

Where To Begin?

 


Where to begin.....

when CNN is worrying a nutcase
might blow us all up
on his way out of office?

when the rogue "president" of the USA
incites his fanatical followers,
his "Great Patriots",
white supremacists wearing t-shirts that say
"60 million wasn't enough"
- seriously? -
to storm the Capitol,

then issues a statement,
when he is asked to resign,
saying it might "further divide
the country",
as if his four years of rhetoric and lies
didn't do exactly that.

He was pressuring senators DURING THE ATTACK
to obstruct the ratifying of the votes,
because the only thing that matters
is what he wants.

How do I wrap my mind around this week?
I am packing to move into seniors' housing,
my "moving guy" just hurt his wrist,
and covid is rampaging everywhere

as we watch, numb with disbelief,
while crazed extremists storm the Capitol,
(facebook posts a meme saying 2020 was weird.
Day 6 of 2021: showing a man wearing horns
standing behind the Presidential desk.
You can't make this stuff up.)

For four years, I have been outraged,
assaulted in my spirit, could not believe
they would not remove a man
so clearly unfit for office,
watching in frustration
as he did his dirty work.
Government now considers him unhinged.
But he has always been unhinged,
unbalanced. A narcissist and sociopath.
There is nothing new to see here.
He has always been
-blatantly- this person.  

Yet his sycophants smiled and
bowed before him,
in hopes of political gain or power.
Fearing him, just one man,
mentally deranged, every damaging word
given too much air time,
too much power.

His presidency has been a curse.
And more stand in line behind him, 
hoping to take his place in 2024.

How does a country unite
against white supremacy,
the wish for civil war
to send the country back a hundred years
where they could lynch and kill
those of colour
with impunity?

How do we find ourselves
back in 1950
in 2021?

Where do we go from here?
Get him out. Get him gone.
Throw him in a rubber room.
Protect Biden and Harris and Pelosi.

He seems to have no clue
that he will go down in history
in infamy.

How I balance all of this craziness?
I went to the beach. It was sunny and mild -
glorious. The waves were huge.
I uttered a prayer of gratitude
that I am here. Still alive.
Living by the sea.
Trying to keep my balance
through the man-made inferno 
of hatred stirred up by electing
a white supremacist
to the highest office
of the land.


My sister has always worried about him blowing us all up on his way out. I thought that was unlikely. Yet right this minute I am watching them discuss this seriously on CNN. Surreal. Unbelievable. It just gets worse and worse. Meanwhile, covid rages on. God help us, for we don't seem to have a clue how to help ourselves. Meanwhile, the poles melt, and the climate crisis accelerates, unheeded.

for earthweal's open link, reporting from our corner of the world. Hey, today Greenpeace phoned me, a fundraising call. We talked about the climate crisis, and he gathered I have been an activist for 40 years. He wanted to know more about my writing. I told him about earthweal and he was impressed. He said "Keep doing it". 

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm still in shock over not just the last few days but the trauma of his entire presidency. Social media outlets have the common sense to cut him off. Why not Congress and his Cabinet.

    In a cool peace of synchronicity I went out to the water also today.

    Good luck in your move to senior housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all we can do is speak out against the evil we see and take the time to be grateful for everything we have, and try to heal ourselves. Everything you've said here is true and I can only hope for better times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have worried myself sick about him and his shifty little hands wandering where they shouldn’t, particularly as he holds the codes in them. That maniac is capable of anything. He is holding on to the presidency for grim death because he knows his days are numbered and without the protection of that position he will end up in prison. What surprises me most is that nobody has taken a pot shot at him, as they have done other presidents. He obviously doesn’t care about the American people and what the pandemic is doing to them, and he certainly doesn’t care about the planet unless there is something to gain from it. What else is he hiding that has him so scared? And regarding white supremacy, when will people learn from not so distant history?
    I hope your move into seniors' housing goes smoothly, Sherry, and that have found a happy and safe haven there – and continue to enjoy the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe writing it down helps to understand the madness. I don't know, it still looks insane to me. Stay on the beach and watch the sun and the ocean. Much better for stress levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a symptom, not a cause, unfortunately. I keep saying it's mass insanity and it is. He should have been in jail long ago (I mean, back when he was just doing illegal things as a "real estate mogul" here in NY). That 70 million people would actually cast a vote for him after the last 4 years boggles my mind.
    but enough of that...as Jane said, sit by the water and let it calm your mind. and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a crazy week and I wonder when the madness will cease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This madness is but a symptom of our disease ... a lousy one, for sure, as not being able to breathe is a nastier symptom of COVID, or failing to taste anything again. Many succumb to the symptoms, and I fear America has, though standing on the beach in gratitude counts for so much. Stick around. (My challenge for next week is essentially this.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping the craziness is taking a turn right now and that we will be moving forward. Hope. Hope. Hope.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.