Saturday, January 2, 2021

SKY FULL OF RAINBOWS

 

image borrowed from facebook
no copyright infringement intended

One day in 2010, I was walking Pup at the end of our road, thinking about the stressful time I was going through, when I looked up to see several rainbows arcing across the sky. It was glorious. These lines began coming as I gazed in wonder.......

When you are hanging onto
the very last edge 
    of the edge
of the skinniest branch,
and you feel your grasp slipping,
   look up!
There's a sky full of rainbows,
row upon row of them,
shining up there,
to tell you that
all will be well
   all will be well
      all will be exceedingly well.
God's in their heaven
in the so clear air,
and all will be
exceedingly well.

When the grayest of rain clouds
has just dumped its deluge
   upon you,
and you are mopping your eyes
and wringing out your hair,
   look quickly!
You just might glimpse
the shine of angel wings
   hovering there,
at the very edge of
your peripheral vision,
to encourage you and I
that, on the other side
of this trauma
or sadness or challenge,
the radiant dawn
of a brand new day
lies somewhere
   waiting,
just waiting
to break across your
morning sky.

When you have reached
the very limit
of what you feel you can
or should withstand,
when the stress has
weighed you down so far,
you're not sure exactly
how you will pull through,
go out to where the water
meets the mountain.
See the waterfall
tumble down its slopes
   for you.
Watch the eagle
lift out of the mist
into the shrouded skies.
Take a deep breath
and believe,
just like the eagle,
your spirit, too,
your spirit once more
   will rise.

A hopeful note for a new year at earthweal, for its 51st open link. Wow, that year went by so fast, and so full of challenges, who could keep up? I have a great elephant story to tell there on Monday. I hope you will stop by.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherry, what a powerful message of hope and renewal in nature! Nature always has a lesson to teach us. I saw one such glorious rainbow display when descending from a walk in the Julian Alps last summer. It was worth walking through the rain for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had those magical moments too ... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What greater gift is there than hope? I take those rainbows with me into my dark nights and strange days. Thanks so ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a double but never several at once. You are fortunate to live in such a place and much solace can be found in nature and with our animal friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty, Sherry. When we see problems and troubles there is another scene the other way. And don't forget there are helpers almost everywhere we look. "the very last edge of the edge" reminded me of the pair leaving for the edge of the earth. They didn't get far, drats.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comment seems to have disappeared. It is amazing how life gifts us with visions of beauty when we are at a low ebb. I agree, the angels are watching us. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spiritually drawn from rainbows in the sky. I love this. So glad you are sharing that message today, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sky full of rainbows has lifted my heart this morning, Sherry! I’ll be looking out of the corner of my eye for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nature always heals if we let it come to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always associate rainbows with death, so I probably share your hope that they represent something greater than we are and more lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poem is like medicine for my spirit. Thank you for remining me of those rainbows that sometimes get hidden by clouds. These days, I need to look up more often.
    Happy New Year Sherry. May it bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! Rainbows have a way of lifting one up. On some of my darkest days rainbows have appeared. Creator is watching and airbrushing a spectrum of light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely...I sort of like "God...they." I'm not among those who object to "God the Father," but I do think there's meaning in the fact that one of the Hebrew names for God the Father is a plural form used as if singular...who are we to imagine the Creator being bound by either the gender or the number of a mortal body?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful words of hope Sherry and I wish you the happiest of New Years!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.