Friday, September 4, 2020

WHAT DOES A WILD WOMAN DO?

 


What does a Wild Woman do
when the news continues to astound,
when the very last old growth forests
on her Island - and in her village -
are being cut down,
when covid numbers are starting to climb
after six months of compliance
because people are "getting tired"?
(Oh. Boo-hoo.)

She sighs.
She pours a second glass of wine,
because one doesn't do it any more.
(Careful! She knows that is a very 
slippery slope. Don't worry.
Never more than two.
It's her mantra.)

She turns off the news.
She would like to write a poem
that inspires hope, lifts hearts.
But she is so freaking tired.

Forgive her. She is old.
She has lived several ages.
This one is Too Hard.
(The other ages didn't have trump.)

But she has always
Lived In Hope,
so that flame is still
stubbornly flickering.

What we have is today:
brilliant September sunshine,
(her favourite!),
with blue jays and sunflowers,
hope and grief all mixed together,
because this is where we're at.

One is grateful:
for another generation of
forest defenders following
in her footsteps
at the blockades,
for blue skies, and a sweet September sun,
for dogs with wagging tails
and smiling eyes.
For still being alive, on Planet Earth,
with its clouds, and soft sea breezes,
its sandy beaches stretching to Forever.
For the gift of 74 years
upon this most beautiful
- this struggling-to-survive-
planet.

What does a Wild Woman do?
She prays, she hopes, she dreams,
- she may cry a little -
she writes poems, and,
having done all she can realistically do,
goes off to bed and prays for a
Revolution of Human Consciousness
on the morrow.

for earthweal's open link. Sigh.


6 comments:

  1. All anyone can do, Sherry, is keep on doing what we do – and you do it so well. Everything that’s happening at the moment makes me sigh, makes me tired, but even the smallest poem, a haiku or a cinquain, makes a difference – just to get it out there in the hope that someone will read our words, take them seriously and keep the flame flickering. I love the way the poem turns and brightens with September sunshine, blue jays and sunflowers, dogs with wagging tails and smiling eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we keep on keepin' on, the best we can, in the face of such distress and despair. That I Ching saying, "To and fro goes The Way" to me says that every day is made of gold and dung, hope and turns to the wall. I too loved your September sky, the eyes of those dogs. They may only count on the sill of the next day, but they count. And we keep writing. (Me, I couldn't EVER keep the flow under two glasses, so I don't fill them at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you are doing all that a person can do...praying, hoping, dreaming. Meanwhile take a walk, read a good book, write a poem, and enjoy that second glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does a wild woman do? There is only so much we can do during these times. I keep dreaming and hoping. I take walks to calm my soul and let nature speak to me. I have been known to drown my sorrow in a glass of wine now and then.

    hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I join you in your prayer soul sister. I am sorry to hear the forest action isn't going so well. I have been wondering what is happening. It looks like such incredible country. Suzanne of Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you focus in on what the wild woman does. Perhaps it is in the little acts and gratitudes which makes the world just a little brighter. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.