Sunday, September 13, 2020

Small Fox of the Apocalypse


I was born in hope
in the middle of the apocalypse.
I was gifted a feather,
that I might keep my eyes on the sky,
and my dreams evergreen.

But my mother is worried;
we smell smoke. We fear
the roaring flames are
coming near.

My mother has told me
our fate depends on the Two-Leggeds.
She also said it is the Two-Leggeds
who have made Mother Earth so ill.

I hold my Talking Feather. I ask to speak
at the Council of All Beings.
Owl and Wolf and Bear fall quiet.
They nod their heads at me.

"Can we trust that the Two-Leggeds
who have caused so much death
are the same ones who will save us all?"

This is the question of small foxes
in the apocalypse. This time of terror
teaches even baby foxes
how to grieve.


Sigh. For Carrie at The Sunday Muse


With all of the human cost of the wildfires, in death and loss, my thoughts are with the wild ones, trying to outrun the flames. And with the fur companions that humans left behind, waiting for their return, who perished in the flames. Leaving an animal behind is something I will never understand.


15 comments:

  1. Speak, Baby Fox! Maybe the two-leggeds will stop politicking and start addressing the real issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo and your words. Will we humans ever learn and finally begin to listen?

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the talking feather, the fox is wise. Can the two legged be trusted? I think some still can as they advocate for the earth and her creatures. We must hold on to that feather of hope, that our skies will once again be blue and trees will grow again where now stand the ashes of disaster. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never trust the 2-leggeds.

    My dogs know that I would drink muddy water, lay down and sleep in a hollow log before i would ever abandon them. They are my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing conversation between fox and feather.
    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of all the animals who are lost to the horrors of nature and man, and I feel my heart break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through the eyes of the fox and his momma this really grabs my heart Sherry! Oh this poor wild beauty's in the forest that are at the mercy of the two-leggeds.bit is a tragedy indeed. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are living in mythological times that are real. Thanks for giving the animals voice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Love it! Love it! Wonderfully told, Sherry. You went in an awesome direction with this. Your 'Council of All Beings' is utterly inspired ... an idea that would make an incredible book - one, I think that would be very suitable for children. In fact, I haven't a doubt in the world: They'd love it! Children see and accept consequences far more readily than most adults do. They expect life to have an aspect of fair-play to it - and want to see those who ruin things for everyone (like the Two-Leggeds) brought to task.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We two-leggeds are certainly making i hard on cute little foxe — to our great shame...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! What a wonderful poem of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poem only Wild (wise) Woman could write. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sherry, this points so sharply at the source of our world's continuation dilemma. The Two-Legged are divided, the ones in power now seem to say burn, devour, and destroy what we need today, us, d**mned the pain of the defenseless and all living beings of tomorrow.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love "I hold my Talking Feather." That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fox holding a Talking Feather. Works so well in this wonderful animal-loving poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.