Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Beloved




They circle the harbour,
my mountains ~
guardians, protectors.

My eyes follow their familiar curves
~ Catface, Lone Cone, Meares ~
tracing their round lines,
catching my breath at
their ever-changing mist and cloud,
their slopes turning rosy 
just before sunset,
like blushing maidens, shy under
so many loving glances.


My eyes caress their rounded shapes
with gratitude and love
~ Catface, Lone Cone, Meares ~
watching over the harbour 
and our lives:
neighbours, protectors, guardians.


Beloved.


for Sumana's prompt at Midweek Motif: Neighbours. Every day, as I pass through the village, my eyes fly to the mountains circling our shores. They are so familiar and beloved, my heart ever grateful for their beauty and proximity.



13 comments:

  1. I love your take on this prompt of neighbors. I feel the same way about the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sherry this is utterly gorgeous in its poignancy and images!❤️ " like blushing maidens, shy under so many loving glances." Woww!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us that not all of our neighbors have two legs and can carry a casserole to a grieving family. Mountains as neighbors. Definitely. Infinitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful poem Sherry!! I can just imagine them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had written this. My mountains too are my beloved neighbors. I can always count on them, their beauty. I love this poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the poet and the Muse of that place. Thank you for sharing with us thank you for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  7. An almost erotic adoration, definitely your neighbors--your home--at any time of day: "Neighbors, protectors, guardians, beloved." Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if only we would love the mountains, the rivers and seas as our friends, but no everything is a commodity to be usurped, to be plundered and profited from by a few while the Earth slowly dies. Why can't people open their eyes to the coming catclysm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you name them - twice.. brings them closer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soothing. So, so wonderful and fortunate to have such neighbors. I wish I could live in the Himalayas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Sherry! Living in a flat landscape, I appreciate every curve and slope of your mountainous neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live in a beautiful part of the world, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, Sherry. I love the personification of the mountains. They are, indeed, protectors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.