Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Truth Is Stranger Than......



I used to read fiction,
when I was young,
dreaming away the days
imagining the fine romance
that would, one day, be mine.
The plot didn’t work out that way.
I set forth, starry-eyed,
without a clue,
not knowing that
what happened to me -
the not-choosing -
was, itself, a choice.

Heartache ensued,
as it always does
for starry-eyed fools,
who mistake Heathcliff’s surliness
for high romance and undying love,
instead of sensibly fleeing.

Next, to heal
my shattered illusions,
I chose novels
written by liberated women,
trying to find a roadmap
out of Clueless,
onto a road
with some sort of
reasonable destination.

Living in a shoe,
surrounded by children,
after the leading (con)man left
and we started over with nothing,
it occurred to me
that I was living
a more complicated
and messy plot
than any of the fiction
on my shelves.
In fact, had I sent in the synopsis,
any editor would have said,
“None of this is believable”.
It was just that weird.

Thankfully, the universe sent in
some gentle people,
midway through,
to heal my heart
and turn my life
back into blue skies
and sunny days.

I turned, then, to reading memoir,
lived experience,
tales of people who survived –
nay, transcended –
impossible situations.
I read of the Gulag,
concentration camps, women captives,
child soldiers, refugees,
people hanging onto life
by a shred,
breath and memory
and a soupcon of hope -
all that anchored them here.
They showed me how
our spirits rise.

I read a book dictated
after a stroke,
one eyeblink at a time,
one alphabet letter at a time,
and told myself to NEVER complain again
about how hard it was to write.

No, I don’t read fiction
any more.
Our lives are plots
to rival that of any novel.
My memoir will make
interesting reading,
if I ever have time
to write it.


LOL. For Susan’s  prompt at Midweek Motif: Reading fiction.

12 comments:

  1. How very, very convincing! Thanks to you, I read ever more non-fiction, but I only succeed if the writer uses the creative tools of literature. Thankfully, many have that talent. And I prefer fiction about the future, not the almost real and fairy tale stuff. Conjecture and other worlds, and clues to who we are. OK, more poems are coming into my head. I love yours, and will share it when you post it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thankfully, the universe sent in
    some gentle people,
    midway through,
    to heal my heart
    and turn my life
    back into blue skies
    and sunny days."

    I am also thankful this interlude snook into your life. Thanks for dropping by my blog today Sherry

    Much📚❤📚love

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will write that story, that is unique to you, or maybe you write it with every poem you write? annell4

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second-to-last stanza --- wow. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to read that book. Enjoyed this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your book would be amazing, full of memories and experiences that make us weep, ponder, and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "people who survived –
    nay, transcended –"....Aaah...inspirational lines so full of light and spirit. You should write Sherry to make others survive and transcend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. any editor would have said,
    “None of this is believable”.
    It was just that weird.
    Goodness..I just said something similar yesterday about writing my own story! It's extraordinary how stories pan out and make us who we are...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! Wonderfully penned, Sherry:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poetry will serve as an excellent memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh. I would describe my life story, a work of fiction, except its reality for me. Besides, no one could ever believe the things that I have experienced or witnessed having to others that I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting poetry, enjoyed reading. I'm now following you, looking forward to reading more ,smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.