Friday, August 24, 2018

THAT FARTHER SHORE




When the angel of death 
arrives at my bedside,
like the ferryman coming 
around the bend of the river,
plying his oar with determination,
pulling alongside 
and beckoning me in...

When I gaze at him, 
my bed the shore,
wondering how to make 
my earth-bound body
traverse the space between us
without falling...

I think I will trust that 
the air will support me,
entering that bright darkness,
interested in discovering 
what comes next.

Yes, I think I will trust.

My life has been a voyage 
of wonder and amazement.
I have made this journey, 
head tipped back,
and grinning at the sky.
Trees have danced for me,
dogs and babies smiled,
my heart brimming 
with the dazzle
of this beautiful world,
who performed her best
sunrises and sunsets for me,
draping the mountains 
with breathtaking mist,
always whispering
"watch this!" and then,
       "watch this!"

I have long loved 
the stories of people
who rose - and rise -
from their heartbreaking situations
with hearts like lions,
walking forth into Whatever Comes
with full hearts, with dignity, 
with pride.
No surrender.

Yet when that dark angel 
comes for me,
I think I will surrender.
I will ride that bed-boat 
out into the cosmos,
transfixed by all the stars,
wrapped in clouds of transformation,
soaring through the heavens,
breath held in awe -
Beautiful Sky-World.

The river of amazement will carry me,
as it carried me through this life,
to my next destination,
where I hope I will find loveliness
like that of this world,
where I will meet lost loved ones,
and furry tails will thump in welcome.

At the end, I will say that, 
all of my life,
I have loved most this earth 
and its beauty.
In trust, I will step into 
the ferryman's boat,
ready to see what lies
on that farther shore.


Well. I may not be that trusting at all. I may flail and moan. LOL. We shall see. I'll report back!

One from 2017, to be shared with the Poetry Pantry at Poets United, where we have fine reading every Sunday morning.

27 comments:

  1. This, this, is still the best poem you've ever written. It draws tears and smiles every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the ray of light that pierces the gray clouds and the dark. in that you have touched so many with your whispering words, so many will lift you up so that your transcending soul's journey is neither arduous or filled with angst but usurped by love.

    beautiful piece, mi amiga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, I do agree with Susan! If you have to do a poetry reading there sometime, you should choose this poem. It is so good, so deep, so YOU! (And I think it is a poem that many would find meaning in for themselves as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, friends. A good idea, Mary, though I get choked up so easily,these days, it is hard to read such pieces out loud. Might try it next writers' group!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is indeed a wonderful, beautiful, joyous poem and my new favourite as well. (And I like the bed-boat, with its reminders of the way one used to go riding out just before - or just after - sleep, in childhood.)

    If you rehearse out loud enough in front of the mirror, trying out different intonations, gestures and all, you will be less likely to choke up on the night. (Tip from an old hand, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this journey,
    head tipped back,
    and grinning at the sky... what a positive message on life and how to live it. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the confidence in this poem and would love it if you returned to tell us about it, but I think it is a personal experience and different for each of us. Maybe we'll meet on the other side and compare.
    I love the lines:
    'I think I will trust that
    the air will support me,
    entering that bright darkness'
    and
    'I have made this journey,
    head tipped back,
    and grinning at the sky.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I have written about the ferryman I am trying to outwit him! Perhaps the answer is just get in and ask if he needs help with the oars! This really is a most beautiful poem Sherry; I must have missed it 2017 when I was having my own private battle with him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a moving writ, Sherry, you final stanza, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is deeply poignant, Sherry💖 I agree with Susan your poem truly brought tears and made my heart throb in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that boat is a long way in the distance.. you have shared something wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the great gift we can give to each other -- the soft voice that says All Is Well and resonates through every troubled nook. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is beautiful! I want it made into a song and played at my funeral. There's an innocent joy to this that completely captivates me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful, Sherry — my new favourite by you. It's so positive and full of life. Whenever the time comes, in some way, we would all be ready or so I wish.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am laughing uproariously at the footnote to your poem. Yes, you may flail and moan, but so what? At least you are moving into the next phase, and that's what's important, and lovely, and true. So flail and moan away, if you must, but just keep moving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. to face anything with courage and confidence, that's what this lovely poem tells me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely poem Sherry. I don't want this played at my funeral because I refuse to have one. I like that you will report back to us about the adventures, love, and peace that go before us into the great void. Keep moving. As must we all no matter how we balk and scream and kick. Face it and take it on the chin. I love this poem of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful; I'll echo the comments about bringing tears to the eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Sherry I'll wait for your report. I think it will not be as you think, or dream, nothing really is. It will be new, something you never thought of. But is will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like to think I could trust too--but not really sure about that--I love this Sherry--so full of warmth and serenity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the idea of the bed boat and making that cross from the bed onto the ferry without falling in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the stunning images and contemplations with which you have colored this lovely - and spiritual extended metaphor. I found myself drifting away on that ferry boat ~ sigh ~

    This is a calming and serene piece to linger over.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is filled with such joy! Just don't report back too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I loved this poem any more than I do, I might have to marry it. This speaker must know the inside of my head and the right caves inside my heart. At the moment, I'm quite sure that when my time comes, I will surrender. But like you suggest in your note, time will be the best storyteller. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ready to see what lies
    on that farther shore.

    It is great to set the commitment first. Other things will matter less after that! Great Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is certainly a refreshing look at something that usually evokes uncertainty and fear. I haven't quite made such peace with the reaper yet, but this poem shows a vision of hope that I hope to emulate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.