Friday, August 31, 2018

GOING, GOING, GONE


Modoc the Elephant
source



The animals, all beautiful and wild,
that I have loved so, 
ever since I was a child,
are crying their distress,
as they flee their burning nests,
and the habitat we have gravely
defiled.

Mother orca sadly grieves 
her deceased calf;
over-fishing has now
cut her food by half.                                          
Turtles wash up on the shore;
soon we won’t see them any more.
And so I weep and ache 
on their behalf.

It is only us they place 
their hopes upon.
May we be the helpers 
that they can count on.
Let's all raise our voices high,
so we don’t have to 
say goodbye.

But hurry! They are
going, going…..gone.


For Karin’s prompt at Real Toads: Going, going, gone. Sigh. 



8 comments:

  1. Your poem brings tears to my eyes too. It describes the terrible harm we are wrecking--can you imagine that Trump wants to get rid of the Endangered Species Act in the U.S. I feel particular sadness for that mother orca. Thanks, Sherry, for your informed poem. k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sad one Sherry, and your every word is right!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are warning us... we are next to be gone, and they will take back everything unless we learn living together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So heart breaking and sadly true! Thank you for being a raised voice for nature and all God's creatures Sherry! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Bjorn is on the right track, Sherry, as you are. trump lives for his day and his empire, for no one else. Were the death and destruction faster, as things stand he would be the last person on earth. Then what?
    (Note I didn't capitalize his name, he isn't my president. I didn't vote for him and he cares less for me and the millions in majority here than I do a misqueto. Vile self centered person he is.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. soon we won’t see them any more..

    This is very true of many animals in many parts of the world. It is our tragic inability to place their protection at the top of the list of global priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry, it's a sad state of affairs. And I wholeheartedly agree with Bjorn's observation. Nature will prevail, but at what cost?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.