Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Gift of a Poem

Oh my goodness. I so wish I had written this. But it takes one who is living it to write such words. It resonates so strongly and is one of the most beautiful anti-war and pro-unity poems I have ever read. I just had to share it. I had not come across this poet till now. But she is a wonder. Googling her, I found her at Fault Lines Poetry online, but am having trouble finding much information about her.

Love Letter from Baghdad
by Gail Barker


Call me Rabia. I was
named for the Sufi Saint.
Blood pumps through the four
chambers of my heart,
swift and scarlet with joy or slow
and bruised black with sorrow.
We are the same.

This morning, as I pin up wash
in my rubbled court yard,
the long fingers of the sun reach
over the desert and sting my sleepless
eyes like dust, like diesel fumes.
There’s an explosion.
Did you hear it?

My neighbor sinks to the ground
in the folds of her burka,
a dark flower, rocking and keening,
her bloodied grandchild in her arms.
The earth trembles with
the terrible sound of her grief.
We are the same.

I want to share sweet memories
with you, of date palm and pomegranate,
the hay fragrance of saffron, the song
of the nightingale. I invite you
to share yours with me.
We are the same.

Come sister, let’s raise our arms
and begin. We’ll spin
and dance like the Sufis.
It will take as many turns
as there are stars
to make this right.
We do not yet know the steps.


            - Gail Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.