Saturday, December 9, 2017

Distressing to Animal Lovers: the Death March of a Starving Polar Bear




I bear witness
to your suffering.
I do not turn away,
though your dying
breaks my heart.

You are living
what humankind 
has wrought,
and we are not acting
fast enough
to make things right.

So I accompany you
on your slow death march.
I bear witness
to your suffering.
I do not turn away,
though your dying
breaks my heart.


The film crew said they filmed with tears rolling down their faces. There was nothing they could do to intervene. But they filmed in order to bear witness to the catastrophic effects of climate change on wild creatures. It is painful, uncomfortable. We wish we had not seen it. What we can do: 

*bear witness
*care
*raise awareness
*reduce, re-use, recycle
*lower own own emissions
* contact our local, regional and 
national officials insisting  that laws 
need to be enacted NOW to 
address climate change.

It is the least we can do.


source: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/polar-bear-starving-arctic-sea-ice-melt-climate-change-spd/

photographer Paul Nicklen, National Geographic

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know. It is more than I can bear...plus the horses burning to death in California. All because of stupid greedy corporations and the false idea that human needs come first, at the expense of the entire planet.

      Soon humans will be staggering along, starving and dying, like that bear, only we are too stupid a species to understand this.

      Thanks for reading, kiddo. So many turn their heads away. But I figure if the animals can live it, I can bear witness.

      It just kills me though. Kills me. Humans have resources. Animals are forced to endure this crap because of us and it weighs heavily.


      Delete
  2. Turning away would be so easy, as my heart aches. My stomach turns. But ignoring it does not make it go away.

    So I watch,
    and I ache.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.