Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Flight



I had eyes that sought romance,
then I married the loveless.
I sought a home to wrap around me
that became a cage.
Like the lion, I feared and loathed
the cracking whip.
Like the raven, I grew shrewd
and plotted flight.

Does every dream have to die
to gain us wisdom?
I packed my traveling bag with 
a lust for freedom,
pulled on my walking boots,
started down Liberation Road
on dancing feet.


for Susie's prompt at Real Toads: to write a poem in the style of Amber Rose Tamblyn, a girl who packs a lot of punch into her fantastic poems.  Wild Woman harked back to the 70's and remembered a few things. LOL. 

9 comments:

  1. heartbreaking Sherry..thank god for the liberation road and the dancing feet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Sherry. You had more than enough to break your spirit, but you grew wings of freedom. Thanks so much for participating in the prompt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the way you did your escape, though it's sad that you had to... Freedom is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joy after being so confined is beautifully expressed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your similes set the scene perfectly. I cheer for the wild woman's bid for freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so much love for this:
    "Like the lion, I feared and loathed
    the cracking whip.
    Like the raven, I grew shrewd
    and plotted flight."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope every dream does not have to die!
    I hope that though dreams may change form
    they still will find a way to come true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Sherry-this one has so, much truth, but I know you still dream of the wide, blue ocean and the sky to match it. Your true home, where the salt awakens your happy tears and your smile is the rainbow~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.