Wednesday, July 10, 2024

SOLITARY STAR


Solitary star
is it cold up
where you are?
Through bare and brittle
winter branches
I can see you
sparkling clear,
shining your brightest
just before
you disappear.

The rooster is
softly crowing
in the barnyard,
a sleepy sound,
reluctant in the chill.
My wolf-dog pads,
silent and old,
beside me.
The day is coming
when he no more will.

Nine white swans
in formation
now come gliding
almost noiselessly
winging overhead.
Noses pointed west,
they're heading towards
the water.
Nine swans,
and yet they
mate for life
it's said.

Now daybreak crests
the silver-peaked mountains,
lighting the frozen rooftops
etched in ice.
Tall cedars turn
from black and
towering giants
to green again,
their beauty
beyond price.

I breathe the essence
of this winter morning,
wood-smoke on the air
as starshine fades.
My windows are lit up
and, warm and waiting,
is the cozyness
of this little home
I've made.
I feel the blessing
rich with
all life's worth,
just to have
another day
like this
alive
on Planet Earth.






I wrote this poem in 2010, in winter, when I was still living in my little trailer - Pup's kingdom. I loved that little place and this poem came to me while I was walking Pup along the road, looking in at the glowing windows, happy with our little home, but very aware that soon he would no longer be walking beside me. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Sherry, that is a friendship you will forever miss. Your poem touched my heart strings. annell

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminiscence is so very touching, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry your poetry is always heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.