Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Eaglet Elegy

 


Small eaglet,
when you fell from the nest,
kind people came
and loved you as you grew.

You were happy in the summer sun
till, unexpectedly,
(and oh, we could never, ever
 be ready for this),
you spread your wings
and flew

into the Otherworld,
where loving spirits sing.

We hope you knew
how much we loved you

and how the memory of you
is now one more of the many
golden gifts
you bring.

I wrote this for my prompt at What's  Going On : Elegy. But posted another choice as my link.

Strangely, as happens in life, I had this prompt ready two weeks ago when, just last week, a young boy I looked after for years when he was small died suddenly in a boating accident. He was the sweetest boy, now in his early teens, and everyone who loved him is just devastated. 

4 comments:

  1. What a tragedy, Sherry. I am so very sorry for your loss. So very young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. only 'friendship' prompt link is showing and not elegy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It posts soon at What's Going On. 8 a.m. Pacific time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.