Tuesday, July 23, 2024

I Remember

 


I remember when we thought
we'd change the world:
the civil rights movement
the women's movement
Kent State/Viet Nam -
"Hello, no. We won't go!" -
flowers in gun barrels
Make Love Not War
and
Give Peace a Chance.

Love and hope were in the air.
The times, they were a -changing everywhere.

Our leaders and our hopes fell
one by one: Gandhi, JFK,
young civil rights activists,
Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy,
and John Lennon, with his song of peace,
silenced by a gun.

How heavy our hearts, as hope grew silent
and the world went another way.
The times, they were a-changing,
where corporations ruled, Profit Before Planet,
and Mother Earth and all her creatures
are the ones who pay.

Our hearts leaped when Barack Obama
appeared:
a visionary with heroic qualities to his name.
He reminded us what it was to dream.
The times grew bright till
the end of his tenure came.

Then a toxic angry cloud covered the land.
Where kindness and civility have gone
I will never understand.
Democracy under attack,
hard-won rights and freedoms
going/gone -
the far right is singing
a very scary song.
There is Truth and there are
"Alternate Facts," Project 25,
and fake news:
a dictatorship or democracy:
we get to choose.

For now a bright light surfaces again.
With Kamala our hopeful spirits rise.
The pendulum swings
from dark to light
to our amazed surprise.
The times, they are a-changing,
folks, once more.
May they change to the vision
our freedom-loving hearts
 are more than ready for.


for Mary's prompt at What's Going On : Changing Times

I had written a much gloomier poem until Kamala Harris announced her candidacy. I haven't felt this hopeful since Barack Obama ran for office. She is brilliant, warm, honest, real - and strong. It's good to have hope again.

12 comments:

  1. You have covered a lot of history in your poem, Sherry. It really is good to have landed in a hopeful place again...a place where we again think we can perhaps change the world! Optimism is a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were the times indeed, Sherry, when people protested and ended a horrific war... seems impossible now, as we are seeing. Am not convinced yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words of hope are always full of light. And we live in hope. But the truth is 'song of peace' was, is and will always be silenced by guns as long as weapon suppliers rule this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ending here Sherry - a flicker of light on the horizon - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you abandoned the much gloomier poem and reflected the Kamala ray of hope, Sherry. Over here in the UK, I have confidence in her. I too remember those days when we thought we'd change the world, only I was too young to march and had to watch from a distance, mostly on television or film. But I do remember John Lennon’s death only weeks after my daughter was born. Things definitely looked up with Obama and then suddenly it became so gloomy. We need that ray of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words of hope Words of light.. The times they are 'a changing' and yes it does seem as though the sun is peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful poem!! History and now!! Love it. annell

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your poem but I fear that might be all that Kamala can inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cry in the darkness - This sings with heart felt hope in a brighter future. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Then a toxic angry cloud covered the land.
    Where kindness and civility have gone
    I will never understand." The backlash has gotten worse as democracy has landed a few unique candidates in the white house. May this one prevail. (Oh and thanks for the memories.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every prayer of hope this poem expresses so echoes in my heart, Sherry. The imagery-filled walk through history served its purpose well in driving home this truth, new light, a new dawn, as the "pendulum swings/from dark to light."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived every bit of that Sherry. It breaks my heart that we were so damn wrong. Peace and love. I lived it, sang it in my bands. I talked on the streets, I protested. So sad. But I’m certainly right with you on that Kamala, I hope there’s hope. ✌🏼🫶🏼

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.