Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Eight Lessons in Training a Goshawk

 


photo credit: Chris Reilly

I
First, I had to become invisible,
so she could learn to accept me.
We sat the difficult, patient,
excruciating hours together,
her hooded, at times, for calmness,
my eyes averted,
until she could be with me unmasked,
without fear.

II
Next, I had to make her hunger,
so when I offered food
on my extended fist
she would come to me.
This was a dance that took some time
to choreograph.

III
I did not know,
until she laughed,
that goshawks were capable
of play.

IV
We walked the hill to the field in dread,
her on my arm,
she because she was terrified,
I because I feared
she'd fly away.

V
The hardest thing to learn
was trusting
she'd return.

VI
It took many fails a day
for a week,
her falling, hobbled,
to the ground,
angry and glaring,
and then we got it right -
she flew right to me.

VII
In the brambles,
her first time loose,
caught by the bracken,
her yellow eyes
looked to me
for rescue. Trust.

VIII
I thought I was training her
to be a goshawk,
but she was teaching me
to unite my wild and human parts,
until my spirit rose
from its bed of grief
and flew.


for Mary's prompt at What's Going On: 15 Reasons

I loved Wallace Stevens' Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird so much that I tried to echo his format, though likely I am no where near his style. The topic was inspired by having read a most wonderful book, H is for Hawk, by Helen Macdonald, about her training a goshawk, while grieving her father's death.



17 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, Sherry. I like what you did with the prompt, telling us a wonderful story with a message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful and interesting story about trust, healing and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :but she was teaching me
    to unite my wild and human parts," - I just love that last bit, who was training whom..brilliant. And I too love Wallace Stevens' 13 ways, so I'm going to go in that direction too... This was beautiful to read, Sherry. If only we would listen to nature and all her creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The hardest thing to learn
    was trusting
    she'd return." Lessons of trust is part of both wild and human. I think this must have been the hardest for the hawk too! I loved every minute I spent in this poem, Sherry. Please publish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a great experience that must have been. Goshawks are such incredible birds. I got chased by one once when I strayed too close to its nest. It pursued me for ages. It must have been amazing to come in a relationship of trust with such a bird. Suzanne- Wordpress blog, Wayfaring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she was teaching me - there is always a heart connection. I can feel the love in this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry,
    A truly delightful poem encompassing many emotions and the journey of trust along the way.
    I like that you had gained so much from the examples set by the goshawk...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes all one can say is WOW... thisis one of those times.. I walked with you through this journey that seems so perfectly portrayed and so deeply metaphoric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your interpretation of that story is fantastic. I was with you every step of the way. And your conclusion that the hawk was teaching the person? So wise. Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one part about the brambles reminded me of Bosco. He had curls around his ruff, and sometimes he would go to scratch an itch and get a toenail caught in a tight curl. He would calmly wait for me to notice and remained still so that I could gently disentangle him. Then he would explode in happiness and dance all over the room. It was a lovely demonstration of trust, that he knew I would always help him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He was such a smart boy! My sister had a very old horse, Beau, who was so smart, she got her hoof caught in some fencing one time and STOOD THERE waiting for one of us to find her. Most horses would have panicked and made it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful, Sherry!! Is this real? It sounds real! I heard a woman on a podcast who had a very similar experience with a Goshawk. What an amazing thing to do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is real - inspired by H is For Hawk, where Helen trained a goshawk while grieving her father. A wonderful read.

      Delete
  13. This is wonderful Sherry! Such a great story and an excellent poem.

    I’m having problems commenting on Blogger blogs. Sometimes it works sometimes it just won’t let me….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people are having the same difficulty. Very frustrating. They seem to have changed the sign in options that used to work.

      Delete
  14. So beautiful, Sherry, that you make our spirits take flight with you and the goshawk. Loved every word, every exposed vulnerability, every discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this poem/story. Animals and humans can connect on a higher level than most imagine. I have had close encounters with hawks and I believe they have taught me a thing or two in their visits.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.