Saturday, May 27, 2023

On The Day the Towers Fell

 

On the day the towers fell,
North America lost its innocence
and its feeling of invincibility.

We watched them fall, on repeat,
all day, humans covered in concrete dust
stumbling with stricken, hollow eyes
across our tv screens.

Towards evening,
they began to appear,
Angels dressed in white,
wings outspread,
gently smiling
peace and hope and love
to the crowd,
who bowed their heads
and cried
at being reminded
that, even in the darkest hour,
beauty can be found.

For Carrie at The Muse, with thanks,

9 comments:

  1. I still get emotional remembering ... yes, beauty all around us, if only we open our eyes and minds.
    (PS, wink, wink thank you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, Sherry, a crystal ball Poem, I hope the reading was wrong. I too wrote a crystal ball work.
    I feel we'll run into each other place, my hope. Check in on me, I'm writing with. Friday Writings. some with dVerse, and on my first blog (2005) on Fridays with alphabet and meme stuff.
    Bye now for this one, the Muse.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Towards evening,
    they began to appear,
    Angels dressed in white" - yes, a way forward is always there should we choose to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A moving poem which ends with words we should always bear in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. at being reminded
    that, even in the darkest hour,
    beauty can be found.

    There is always a silver lining in the darkest hours. One is reminded of the horror of watching concrete high- rise falling like cards. Great wordcraft Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. The exhaustion comes through, as does the hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That day is etched in all our hearts and the memories break the heart. These lines are moving and gorgeous Sherry. A fitting poem for the image. Thank you for always inspiring others here at the Muse my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely tribute - especially the last line ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the day well! There were defiantly some angels helping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.