Monday, April 17, 2023

In the Season of Waterlogged Cherry Blossoms

 

Zoey

The two old trees out my window bloomed,
but days of rain have soaked the white blossoms, 
curled like small fists in the cold.

My sister's dog was sad when we said goodbye.
But "I'll be back!" I said, our rallying cry.

I always arrive with toys. The routine is,
she pokes her head into my cloth bag
and snatches them out herself. I tried
handing her a new toy this time.
She looked at me, until I put it back
in the bag so she could choose it herself.
A small autonomy, honouring 
our long tradition.

5 comments:

  1. I like the routine, also the attitude--which brought me back to those little wet fists, haha. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. curled like small fists in the cold - how great is the imagery here! And love the dog wanting it her way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dog part sounds delightful!

    I've had the same thing happen to my Crabtree blossoms. Rain at the wrong times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful dog, and what a beautiful relationship you and Zoey have. She definitely knows a friend when she sees one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.