Tuesday, April 18, 2023

AFRICA

 


The actual balloon in this poem.

Africa,
land of my dreams,
landscape of my heart,
filled with all the wild ones
I adore,

we did not meet in person
this lifetime,
though we would have,
had life been more kind.

But my friend
once sailed across the Serengeti
in a hot air balloon
at dawn.
She said she thought of me, then,
and so, in that sense,
I was there,
gazing down on acacia trees,
zebras, elephants walking
ponderously across the plains,
my ears perked to hear
the call of lions
waking in the morning mist.

Her photos of a giraffe's long
eyelashes, taken close up,
and the elephants beneath
the baobab, struck my heart.
She sent me a box of photos
from that trip, to share
her joy with me.
I opened them with reverence,
saw my beloved Africa,
in image after image,
beauty captured through her eyes,
a dream come true
in the golden amber
of an African afternoon.


Some of these photos of the balloon ride can be seen at Lynette Killam's site, The Imaginative Traveler, here. But if you type Africa into the search bar, there is much, much more. Her other site, Imagination Lane , has some great stuff too. Lynette and I have been friends since our sons were seven months old, in baby buggies.......she is the one who urged - insisted - I start a blog, and gave it its name. I am forever grateful for how that opened my poetic doors, connected me with poets all over the world, and unleashed a virtual storm of poems I otherwise would not have written. What a trip it has been!

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful poem, Sherry. I had not realized that you and Lynette Killam were long-time friends. I definitely am glad that she urged you to start a blog and glad that you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.