Friday, January 27, 2023

Tree People



Forests are peopled with trees.
From babies to wise old Grandfather Cedar,
all are in a state of
Becoming, Growing, Enduring.
Much like us.

Listen to the song of this old tree,
and he will teach you
how to live.

He will whisper to you
of roots and tree-tops, earth and sky,
and of your inter-connection
to All That Is.
He will tell you the secret
of how to live in harmony
with the natural world,
with respect, nurturing life,
doing no harm.
Breathing out, breathing in.
Being Peace.
Like a tree.

When the west wind croons
through his branches
and the riversong joins in,
listen to their song
and remember:

We are air.
We are water.
We are trees.

for earthweal's open link. A poem from 2016.

6 comments:

  1. That harmony is what we destroyed so carelessly ... sigh.. a beautiful reminder of who we are, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to always remember this, Sherry. The other weekend, my son and I took a walk in a local country park, and stopped to hug the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between I and Thou this We, a verdant commons. It is up to us to accept the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful poem Sherry. It's been a while since I spent time with a big old tree. Your poem makes me want to go to an old growth forest (not an easy thing to achieve from where I currently live). Still, you bought me some tree energy anyway. :) Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lessons to be learned from trees. And from those, like you, who understand them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.