Thursday, January 12, 2023

Here I Am, Still

 


They see me hobbling down the street,
tap tap tapping my cane,
just like my grandma did,
when I walked her back to the old folks' home,
that single tear rolling down her cheek,
her life reduced, no longer
to her liking.

I am luckier than her, or braver.
I chose my dream,
then flew by the seat of my pants
to keep it alive.

It cost me, and aged me,
and slowed me down,
yet here I am, still,
in the place of my dreams.

They see me hobbling down the street
- tap tap tap -
and give me that smile
that people give the old,
as if life and dreams are all over
and I am suspended, just waiting
out my days.

Yet, all the time,
I am remembering:
the cottonwoods, the crickets,
the lazy summer bees,
and us making love
on the side of a mountain,
on the soft, brown, dried out
pine needles,
your dark eyes beautiful,
looking down,
the cerulean sky above.


for Shay's word list: after the poem "Wrinkly Lady Dancer" by  Alicia Suskin Ostriker.

13 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Sherry, and a reminder that what iness when looking at a person is only the very tip of the iceberg, if you will. This is certainly a more deserving response for Ms. Ostriker than my nonsense was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what WE SEE that should say. My keyboard must've moved lol

      Delete
  2. This is a very moving poem, Sherry. And yes, here you are in the place of your dreams. I am sure you collect smiles as you walk through town, and give them as well. You still have y9ur life AND your dreams. Hobble on, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, people here think I'm a hoot. LOL. I love living in a village and being one of the odd ones!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "that smile that people give the old"... a beautiful truth poem... delighted for you that no matter what, you chased your dream and are tapping away the way you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the beginning so and connected, smiled, am starting to understand how this aging 'thing' works... and then the ending - glorious! Just love this write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely Sherry. I must admit, I listen to nurses talking to my Dad and I amazed at how they talk to him. People do make a lot of assumptions based on age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "all the time,
    I am remembering:
    the cottonwoods, the crickets,
    the lazy summer bees" - Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our body ages, our thoughts do not: they race ahead and behind, unseen, and they make us what we are. Lovely poem that looks beneath the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find your poems always so reflective, beautiful and moving, Sherry. Love your honesty and delicate rendering <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see you in your place of dreams hobbling down the street, giving dogs a treat. Smiling as you travel on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey now, its the hoots and odd balls who keep this world turning, all the makers and shakers were all odd balls (like us) so you just keep on hootin', and i'll keep on hootin, and it will be... well... a hoot! love the poem sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.