Saturday, January 14, 2023

First Lines Tell the Tale

 


Along the shores of the Zambezi, Gaia dreams
the walls of patriarchy are crumbling.
Nothing wants to suffer.
Bedeck the lowing cattle with yellow flowers.
The voice of the wild anthropocene
is heard across the land.

Elephants cry real tears when they are sad.
Forests are peopled with trees.
Listen to their song, and they will teach you
how to be.
(Everything alive just wants to live.)

I am a lover of the blue sky.
(We are all Sky Woman's people.)
Admire the sunflowers, who turn their faces
to the sun. Turn the vase to face the window,
so they don't hurt their necks.

If there be loons here, then they are hiding.
I can't find a loon anywhere
for solace at Loon Lake.

With my soul among lions, I walk
the dusky chambers of my heart.
I run my beads through careworn hands,
each bead a prayer from my weary heart:

May all beings be well.
May all beings be at peace.


The challenge was to take the first line from the first poem of each month in 2022 and create a poem. It is interesting that a theme emerges from this exercise.

3 comments:

  1. Oh THAT's what it was about. Interesting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your found poetry is wonderful! I too was amazed how cohesive these poems became. I think as poets we have certain themes that are dear to our heart and it shines through in this form of found poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing poem, Sherry. It turned out very well. One can really tell the subjects you so often write about. The lines and stanzas worked together so very well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.