Wednesday, October 28, 2020

WOLF HOWL WOMAN

 

collage by The Unknown Gnome
who, sadly, is no longer with us


When voices whisper among the trees,
and shapeshifters flit in the misty forest,
capes swirling and twirling
their transformation,
when a soft-eyed doe looks up
from tall yellow grasses,
and quick brown rabbits dart
from their burrows,

when the veil between
this life and the next
grows thin,

my heart listens for the howl
of a lonely wolf,
who has wandered the hills
these many years
looking for home.

In those moments,
my heart howls, too,
in recognition of our wild spirits,
never fully at ease
in the world of men.

I light a candle before his image.
His brown eyes look at me;
concerned, watchful,
they peer into my soul.
How he made me laugh!
How we dreamed together
under the moon.

"Visit me," I ask,
but he cannot find his way.

His howl
a mournful echo
in my soul.


for earthweal, where we are contemplating Samhain,  the time when the veil between the earth and the spirit world grows thin.

7 comments:

  1. I hope he will find his way back to you and the howls will turn to laughter again - how hard loss is you give it great dignity

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a haunting image. I'm so glad my wander in Blogland, this grey, wet day, happened upon such a piece of magic. *smiles* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful...image, poem and the love between the two...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lost ones are close at Samhain ... here almost yet not. Your poem brings that animal presence so close. Loved this so. Be comforted by it. - B

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sad, Sherry. I really choked over your words "he cannot find his way." Be well, my friend, in these troubling times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ghosts of those we love are always with us I think, even if only as a song on the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps, tonight he will visit you! I have had spirits visiting me all week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.