Saturday, June 20, 2020

Into the Wildwood

My beautiful great-granddaughter,
Lunabella

When I want desperately
to save the whole world
and all of its suffering
animals and people,
but I can't,
I go into the wildwood,
where the yew tree drips soft rain
onto the ferns below,
all standing at attention,
faces upturned gratefully,
deeply drinking.

It is difficult to care so much
about all that is broken, unjust,
full of pain, where there should be
joy and thriving,
equity and promise.
Justice.

How can I tell Lunabella,
with her eyes so full of dreams,
who has never known anything but joy,
that the world is dangerous,
and one day will hurt her, cloud her
luminous eyes with tears?

"You are wise and brave,"
I will say, instead, "and your dreams
will take you journeying."

I will tell her, "Listen for
the singing birds within the forest.
Place your hand on the trunk
of Grandfather Cedar;
feel his heartbeat.
Bathe under the smile
of Grandmother Moon.
When the world feels prickly,
go into the forest, and
allow the nature spirits,
the trees and the wild ones
to fill you with peace."

When I want so desperately
to save the world and all its
suffering ones, but I can't,
I walk by the sea,
where the only sound
is the song of the waves,
roaring and mighty,
beating in time with my heart.
My footsteps on the sand,
weighted by the earth grief I carry,
wash away behind me,
as I turn my face towards
those better tomorrows
that must emerge
from all of this sorrow
for the sake of the children.


8 comments:

  1. if only. we just need fighting the good fight, Sherry. that's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that Luna Bella will be able to grow up in a peaceful and thoughtful world. What a beautiful child she is!! She must make your heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your deep pain, the worry for adorable Lunabella navigating a world so very different from the days you and I were growing up. This is one of your very finest poems, Sherry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inhale the peace and wonder of wilderness and breathe it out here in this song. This is magnificent. And how could you have not arrived here but in doubt and fear? I thank the time for that. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  5. The earth heals us and we must heal her for the sake of our children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the lure of the wildwood and the sea, Sherry, two perfect places to try to work out how to save the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brought tears to my eyes. Made me think of my happy grandchildren, who don't even suspect what depths suffering can have. Lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.