Sunday, June 7, 2020

Forty Bucks

Painting by Alexandra Dillon


"Did you see that girl's ring?"
I heard a passing girl say to her friend.
The sun had caught my diamond;
it shone as bright and hopeful
as my unsuspecting dreams.
I felt proud. It was 1966,
and I had been chosen.

In 1972, I took that ring
and its wedding band
to the pawn shop.
The proprietor's eyes gleamed.
He saw I knew nothing
about money and worth.
He said, "Forty bucks."

I took it. Forty bucks would buy
three bags of groceries
for my kids.
Forty bucks: the price of peace,
of autonomy,
of liberation.

The price of a path
I would choose for myself.

for The Sunday Muse


9 comments:

  1. You go, girl. You knew more about worth than he thought you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clever poem, Sherry. I dumped my plain band into a lake, good things followed but I paid through a pay check instead of hooking. Child support for four kids was for sure bad as it was a lot and it all went to her new hubby's hot rod. I was buying shoes and clothes but the kids were fed.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Quintessential Wild Woman! yep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at you now .. free, independent, and living your dream! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how this story of liberation resonates with me!! You have a beautiful strength dear Sherry, and it flows throughout your poetry! (He was a very foolish man indeed!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an amazing story. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent metaphor, Sherry. Worth is in the eye of the beholder--and groceries are better than chains, any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd trade a ring for groceries and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only you knew the worth. Great poem, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.