Thursday, June 24, 2010

LOVER OF THE SKY


January 31, 2002

I am a lover of the blue sky.
Perfect clouds
like a dream sail by;
of a green walk in the wild wood;
of tall trees dripping on me
where I stood;
of mist rising up
where the river bends;
of the small sweet song
of a striped-headed wren.

I am a lover of the burning flame
lit for world peace
in hearts the same.
I am a lover of the morning sun,
already radiant
the day begun.
I am a lover of the whale, leaping,
of the blue, blue hills
in the sunset sleeping.
I am a lover
of the eagle's cry,
who sweeps and soars
without a Why.
I am a lover
of life alone,
of the heart's peace
when it's at home.

I am a lover
of my old dog's smile,
of his warm brown eyes,
of his lack of guile.

I am a lover of the warm spring rain,
of the smell of earth stirring
to life again.
I am a lover of the ocean's roar,
of the sandy beach
stretching all before.
I am a lover of rock and log,
of driftwood shapes
looming through the fog.
I am a lover of clouds, of stars,
of the falling dark,
of soft guitars,
of the meadowlark,
of the summer breeze,
of days of struggle,
days of ease,
of heartfelt love
gone away too soon,
of goodbyes
under a slice of moon.

I am a lover
of fresh-cut grass,
of children's laughter,
of dogs I pass,
of babies all
innocence and rapture,
of the bent and aged
who tremble after,
of the falling leaves,
of a job well done,
and I am a lover
of beasts that run,
of water that moves
and creates its own way,
of the journey made
and the price I pay.

I am a lover
of brand new books,
those journeys that
I never took.
I am a lover of music that sings
songs of the heart,
the hope it brings,
and the flight of poems
for a brand new dawn
that knows this life
is Moving On.

Like the heron, stalk-still
at the water's edge,
makes a sudden leap
I am the same.
Poised to dive
from a tilting ledge,
the horizon lit
with a golden flame,
I'm waiting
to hear
Someone
call my name.

30 comments:

  1. Sheer beauty - every line. It's so difficult to put into words all the things which fill the spirit, but you have done just that. This Skylover applauds from the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lover of the worplay in this piece!...it's subtle and peaceful like a Sunday morning prayer...thank you for sharing this. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the old dog's smile. They are such dear friends, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely done,
    love your blue sky,
    love u for being the lover of the blue sky.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much to love in nature and in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly liked the repetition " i am a lover of ". nature is indeed lovely if we take the time to contemplate it. you imagery is absolutely great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so appreciate all of your comments. It is wonderful to have feedback, so one is not writing in a vacuum. Yay for Poets United:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the repetition of "I am a Lover" it really carries the flow and rhythm of the poem. Great post!

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, Sherry...

    'I am a lover of clouds, of stars,
    of the falling dark,
    of soft guitars,
    of the meadowlark,
    of the summer breeze,
    of days of struggle,
    days of ease,
    of heartfelt love
    gone away too soon,
    of goodbyes
    under a slice of moon.'

    Those lines are wonderful. A great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice read Sherry...a wonderful and positive view of love...and that is what i love...it is great to be a part of all of that you mentioned....blessings...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could picture everything you wrote... you have a paint brush in your hands! Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much! This poem flowed so easily off my pen, because I love so many things! Thank you for reading and commenting:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a lover of . . . your writing, and the 'you' that I feel shining through it.

    I so identify with your connection and love of it all, I feel it too.

    Susannah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love nature and your words and connecting, make me feel at awe! I also feel the way you do about Mother Nature and her gifts...this is an amazing piece of art~!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All so beautiful and lovable, too, Sherry. I AM grateful you share your vivid imagery so freely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From one nature lover to another, I applaud you, Sherry,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sherry this is stunning; I love what you love! I had to read it again, so beautiful!xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful Sherry...so full of love you are ...that softness of love is felt in the poem....

    ReplyDelete
  19. a lovely piece fullof beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  20. **subtly interwoven images of earth's natural splendor and life's changing tides**

    beautifully written, deeply felt

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful...it reminded me that I did write a little of me once, so I posted that link, but I would love to write one borrowing your style:) We love many, many of the same things. I love how you live through life's simple beauties. Me too:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice - I love the scope of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sherry, you are not only a lover, you are a love and a gift to me. Your passion for nature has given me a new perspective on walking in the woods - ironic, because I've been an environmentalist for years, but there's activism and there's peaceful love. You've lit the flame for the latter in me, and I thank you. Love, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/the-high-church-of-jazz-poets-united/

    ReplyDelete
  24. And yet, no matter how many lines we write, there's always more to us that's left unsaid. Nice one, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sherry, from fresh-cut grass lover and all above and in between, I like what you say and love what you mean. -jrg

    ReplyDelete
  26. The expression 'stalk still' paints a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a gem. It rings true and fresh as it did almost ten years ago. O, the beauty of words.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your soul Sherry!! Truly beautiful!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I loved reading about you and to know the joys of nature in your life. You like all the important things. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.