Friday, April 5, 2024

To Be Dazzled


Deer at my sister's farm,
nibbling birdseed under the feeder


To be dazzled, said the old woman,
just look up at the sky, and watch it change,
hour by hour. Or gaze at the sea, dark blue-green
with white-foam caps 
on every wave.

To be dazzled, said the crow,
look in the dump for a toss-up of silvery,
shiny objects, too much wealth
for one small beak. Then choose,
and go home feeling rich and happy.

To be dazzled, said the fawn,
look into my mother's soft doe eyes,
so tender, as she bends her head low
to nibble new spring grass, and I bend mine up
to drink her warm, rich milk.


I happened on the prompt  from NaPoWriMo  at  Kim Russell's blog : how a trio of things would observe the same emotion. It was a fun exercise and I loved the prompt poem, The Blessing of the Old Woman, the Tulip and the Dog, by Alicia Ostriker, as well as Kim's wonderful response.

2 comments:

  1. I too liked this prompt and the source poem... will try it soon with one of my prompts... like what you've done with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful response to the prompt, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.