Sunday, April 14, 2024

Bird

 



I imagined a gathering of magpies
in the tops of the alder grove,
as I sat in the sun,
breathing in the scent
of white cherry blossoms.

There was an outbreak of loud chattering, 
all bird voices speaking at once.
What manner of bird was this?
What new song were they
trying to sing? What alarm
sent their chatter into
such brief furore?

I imagined a murmuration,
a stupefaction, of small noisy birds.
As their voices crescendoed,
then subsided and grew still, I pondered
the brief raucous uproar. Perhaps
the loudest among them had won
the fattest worm. Perhaps an elder bird,
dignified in tophat and cane,
had fallen asleep
and toppled off his perch.

Hopefully, his bird-folk had caught 
and steadied him firmly
on the branch
just in time.


While there are magpies elsewhere in BC, they are not in evidence in Clayoquot Sound. But as this was all imaginary, as I rocked in the sun, I had a bit of fun contemplating what might have caused all the ruckus. I identified strongly with the senior bird, needless to say. Smiles.


4 comments:

  1. After watching The Masters in Augusta GA most of the afternoon ~~ I can say with certainly "those" were the birds you heard. I could not believe the sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen a magpie here but, the blackbirds and crows are in abundance. Often, I will hear them making a ruckus and it is usually a warning of some sorts. They are very intelligent and can imitate other birds.

    I had to laugh at the thought of one getting the fattest worm. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love the description of the elder bird, dignified in top hat and cane. I've not seen a magpie (that I know of) but they were prominent in Fox & I. If you haven't read that, I think you'd enjoy it. Cheers on this sunny Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of that book but havent read it yet. I will soon.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.