Monday, April 1, 2024

I Always Knew

 


I always knew I loved the sky.
I walked through seven decades,
head tilted back and grinning
at the great blue bowl above.

I didn't always know
I loved the sea, but,
once I did and moved there,
my soul found itself
at home.

I have always loved the forest,
especially old growth:
fat, friendly grandmother trunks
breathing peace.
The wild ones and I walk
softly there,
with gentle hearts.
I have always loved
the trees.

I have always longed for
the wild places,
a cabin in the wilderness
with no other manmade structure
within sight.
That cabin lives within my heart.
I walk the trails and along the shore
and am well content.

I have always loved
the wild ones:
intelligent eyes, free hearts,
trying to survive
this world of humans
who have forgotten
to be kind.

Springtime, baby animals,
blossoms popping
through the earth,
days lengthening into evening.
I have always
loved the spring.


A response to Marjorie Saiser's "I Didn't Know I Loved". I have always known.

2 comments:

  1. a cabin in the wilderness
    with no other manmade structure
    within sight - sigh... that would be perfect right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.