Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Gifts

 



I gift you a morning sunrise,
in winter,
new-minted with promise,
a fresh day, and, soon,
a new year unfolding.

I gift you hours with loved ones,
sharing songs, and stories, and laughter,
and tears, in the remembering
of those things we have lost.

I gift you sunshine and birdsong,
and a winter hummingbird,
magical and unexpected,
at the feeder,
blue Jays and scarlet cardinals,
and a horse in the field,
huffing small clouds of breath
into the cold air.

For your lonesome heart,
I send you an old dog's smile,
patient, devoted,
and always there.

For your tomorrows,
I send you a small fairy
sprinkled with moondust,
and a wand,
to bid you safe passage.
I send you
the certain knowledge that
you have a place in this world
that is distinctly yours, where you
are treasured and needed.

I send you the new year,
breaking across the morning sky,
in hopes the world
will stop the ways of war
and find the pathway
to peace.


for Sumana's prompt at What's Going On  on Wednesday: Happy New Year! A wish for each of you, as we approach 2024 with trepidatious feet.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Sherry, I would kindly accept all of those gifts! What a rich new year those gifts would bring. (I will start with the old dog's smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept your gifts with a smile on my face, joy in my heart. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish to make all your wishes my home Sherry. Such a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the repetition in this poem, Sherry, and all of the gifts, especially the ‘…morning sunrise,
    in winter,
    new-minted with promise’
    and
    ‘… winter hummingbird,
    magical and unexpected,
    at the feeder,
    blue Jays and scarlet cardinals,
    and a horse in the field,
    huffing small clouds of breath
    into the cold air.’

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful gifts - wishing you a happy and healthy new year too - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. ". . . . you have a place in this world
    that is distinctly yours, where you
    are treasured and needed." Knowledge of this is such an essential gift it brought tears to my eyes. Warm and wonderful images throughout, dear one, and on top of that the end of war!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful gift. Your words made me feel uplifted. Thank you. Suzanne - Wayfaring blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sherry for these gifts Thank you for this incredible beauty of a poem It touched my heart. I wish you an amazing 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The same to you and many more. And butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherry, I really enjoyed your poem and soaked in the positive vibes. The old dog smile really got me, made me think of my old buddy Milo that passed years ago. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful thoughts for New Year. Thank you Sherry...Rall

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.