Saturday, December 30, 2023

DECEMBER


My sister's farm, my home away from home

It's December.
Tree lights, a crackling fire,
gifts - the dog opening her own
with much ripping of paper -
the table filled with holiday food

while, on the other side of the world,
people are living the hell of dropping bombs,
no safe place, no food, no water,
no way to live.

In this lifetime, I travelled
to the far edge of grief
and arrived at
Peace and Gratitude,
always tinged with sorrow, now,
for all human and non-human beings
who suffer at the hands
of war-like leaders.

It's December.
I wrap its soft days around me
like a blanket. Surely 2024
will bring something better
than what we are living now
on Planet Earth.

We must have learned,
when people are starving and desperate,
to send food? To stop the bombs
and recognize that everyone needs
a place on the planet
to live?

The days drift past,
one, two, three.
Dawn will break softly, here,
on a new year's hope
for better days.




Faint hope, indeed. I am glad to say goodbye to 2023 and hope for better things in 2024 for all global citizens, including those non-human beings who have no voice.


5 comments:

  1. We must have learned,
    when people are starving and desperate,
    to send food? :( Like you, I too am only hoping.. but hope is hard these days. The best to you in the new year, Sherry. Thank you for all your wonderful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of wrapping December's warm days around you like a blanket. Gives me a peaceful feeling, much needed, at the end of a tumultuous year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, we must have learned something to make 2024 a better time to be. Stay hopeful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take a "faint hope" these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cozy, i feel your love of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.