Monday, July 10, 2023

Desperate for Home

 


Cox Bay ~ Warren Rudd photo


My desperate search for peace
began at age four. Surrounded
by the unpeaceful, I learned
tranquillity at my grandma's cottage,
so quiet you could hear the metal clock
on the kitchen windowsill,
ticking and tocking
through the five small rooms.

I found and lost serenity
at intervals,
depending on who was close by,
until the need
grew so fierce, solitude
was the only way to sustain it.

Even stronger was my desire
for the sea. For years it called to me
with its siren song, drew me to it
like a murrelet to its nest,
or a grey whale to her
feeding ground. Once found
and claimed, then lost,
my whole spirit yearned
all day every day
thereafter
for my return.

It took seventeen years
to come back to my heart's home,
the universe gifting me my wildest dream
not once but twice.
And now, every single morning
I wake with gratitude,
go through my days
in peacefulness, serene.
All is Enough -
no more is needed
to suffice.

for Shay's prompt at Desperate Poets: Desperate Desires. The two strongest drives of my life have been the quest for a peaceful everyday existence (difficult to manage in the life I was granted), and the strong call of the ocean that drew me out of the desert, over the mountains to the sea. I did feel desperate all those years I lived in the wrong place, until I arrived at the home of my spirit, and that questing, seeking voice inside was stilled. Home at last. I have been so lucky.




10 comments:

  1. My friend, you have been gifted to return to your place of heart. You are so right that the soul needs to be in a place of calmness. Walk with gratitude and the ocean song will sing to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No more is needed to suffice"... we did arrive at the same point, Sherry. To reach that highest point of wanting, but just being and letting things be. That is totally inspiring. I am still on that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been blessed on a few occasions in my lifetime to live by the ocean and her call never stops. One day I might have to return to her too. Loved this Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gift, to be given your desire to your heart's content. Of course the road there defined that desire and it took an ocean of acceptance to grow through to i.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great blessing to work out where one wants to be, and be there. I'm glad you've had that, I'm glad I've had it, and I'm glad the miracle of written words allows me to share your love of your home while savoring the love of mine, thousands of miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely Sherry - really resonate with the call and answer of place and the peace that breathes here. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Sherry....your journey home was a long passage, but it is wonderful that you are in your peaceful place now! Beautiful reflective writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The home of the heart, perhaps the deepest and strongest desire of all, which forever calls us, and blessed are those who have found that place, as your poem shows so luminously, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you found your way home at last, Sherry. No one deserves it more or belongs in a particular place more than you belong where you are, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful. I am happy that you have found your way home and that you are not feeling such deep peace and gratitude. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.