Friday, July 7, 2023

At the End, Only Earth and Sky

 


Water comes first, then we follow,
gasp in a big breath of air, and then we cry.
Thus we are introduced to the world
as it always was and always will be.
Water: essential, blessed,
part of our beings from our very first day.

Through the Sacred Medicine Wheel I journeyed,
dipped my toes in a magical sea,
soul thrumming with the song of the waves.
My sign, my element, my spirit's home:
Mother Ocean.

Above, the sky, the air, the vast expanse,
curving over all
the great blue bowl of aether,
underfoot, the earth, brown and humble
and mothering.

I bow to you, Sky, I sing with you, Wind,
I dance in the rain, laughing
at the great clap of thunder,
feel the rushing whoosh of wind on my face,
raindrops falling on my spirit,
cleansing me anew,
healing the riven places, washing
all negative energy away.

When I am clean,
when the Great Bowl Above grows dark,
I creep homeward,
settle beside a crackling fire,
remember the winking stars,
the great wheeling seabirds,
wonder at the beauty gracing this span of time
that is still mine.

To the earth I bow, in gratitude,
in homecoming.
It waits to receive me
when that final moment comes,
when I will become one
with All That Is.

First, there was water,
at the end
only earth and sky.

One from 2015 for the open link at Desperate Poets

I would welcome a huge rainfall now, at least a week's worth. The hedges and bushes are dying, the earth is dry all the way down, we are on third level water restrictions (though our thousands of tourists are still having their showers!) Wildfires are still burning. And rain, from all indications, is months away. Yikes.

7 comments:

  1. The first line resonates so well.. the title of my first poetry book is "water to water"! Makes no sense to have tourists exempt from water restrictions, while residents comply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been wicked hot in Florida with little rain -- how beaten everything felt -- and then it came, and yesterday it rained and rained off an on all day, until early evening when it felt like it would never stop raining. Sending wet wishes your way and savoring the wet bower of your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the waters break, we are born. Wonderful poem Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 'laughing in the rain' because I have done exactly that more than several times in my long life. We are parched on the High Desert too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful ending! Beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like the last three lines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You manage to make the passage from water and air to earth and sky mythic and powerful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.