Thursday, March 30, 2023

Just One More Wayfarer




I stopped searching long ago,
once my feet stood on the sand
at Chesterman Beach,
in front of my winter cabin,
the orange sun going down,
my great adventure beginning.

Yes, I have loved and lost.
I have lost a lot. But I have also
gained so much: friends, and
experiences that told me
I was being led and guided
the whole time.

I found my peace through solitude,
became the Observer, at a remove
from angst and drama. I rubbed
my lumpy carbuncle of a life
until it grew smooth and shiny,
if not a pearl, still so much prettier
than how it started out. Yet
I carry tenderness, still, 
for those old times, when 
we all did the best we could,
though it was not enough.

Now, I am content, watching
the silver waves roll in and out,
tall trees dancing in the wind,
looking up as an eagle flies over,
as I sit in the sun,
watching the busy world go by.

Immersed in the silence that is my life
alone, I sense a portal opening
upon that farther shore, I,
just one more wayfarer,
fortunate enough
to have found Home
beside the ocean's roar.


4 comments:

  1. experiences that told me
    I was being led and guided
    the whole time - this is such a beautiful way to accept and reflect on the past. It spoke to me. Thank you, Sherry. - Rajani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I believe we may be positively guided to grow old alone...enjoying every minute of the "hermit bliss" we craved when younger, too! Blessed be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lived a good life, Sherry,. and continue to do so. Sometimes all that one can do is observe. And as you observe you think and write,

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful and affecting poem, Sherry. It speaks of contentment that comes from a life well-lived. Thank you for the gift of words!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.