Friday, March 3, 2023

THE LAND OF BONES

 


Through gates of wisdom we,
most hopefully, step.
It is time for the dream of our life
to be coming true,
for the being of all that we truly are
to flower.
Why wait?
Time is fleeting, faster
by the hour.

I passed through the valley of elm and ash,
their branches entwined to form a protected path.
At the end of this path is the portal
to the land of bones.
I have the feeling
I am not alone.

Internally, I am shown,
where my journey lies.
I must cross this littered landscape,
with a seer's eyes,
find and pick up
a backbone, a wishbone,
a funny bone and
a hollow little bone*-
only the ones that are my very own.

Perched on a quaking limb,
a single prodigious egg sits in a nest.
I hear it crack,
and then my quest
is blessed.
A thousand cranes lift up, into the sky.
I am granted the gift of Wonder,
and put it in my pack.

There be spirits here,
and there is no turning back.

Raven sits before me, huddled on the path.
She speaks a single gobble-cry to me,
then turns herself into Flight
without another sound.
Her flight path has teachings in it
for who we are:
citizens of earth,
grounded, yet sky-bound.

When she lands on a topmost scrag,
she points her wing into the forest dark.
I quake, but have no choice,
my inner guide informs.
When I pass through that dark Night,
I emerge into the morning light
transformed.
It is frightening:
Nothing will ever be the same again.
It is liberating:
Nothing will ever be the same again.

When Raven calls to you,
and points her feathery wing,
listen closely for the
message she will bring.


*Indigenous people believe these are the foundations of our being: backbone for strength, wishbone for dreams, funny bone for essential humor and a hollow little bone, for trust and faith in the Great Mystery.

It is also believed that all women came from the elm, all men from the ash.

I wrote this poem for Real Toads in 2015. Stumbled upon it today and am sharing it with earthweal's open link.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I am so glad I read that yo are taking this journey through the dark night of soul. I agree, it is a terrible journey yet when we are called to make it we have no choice but to heed the call. If it is ignored life becomes increasingly difficult.
    Following the Raven into the unknown darkness does bring with it the promise that at the end of the journey will emerge into a bright now reality. I keep glancing at your selfie to the side of this post. Walking towards the light - that's the truth of it. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne. I wrote this when I was still living inland, longing to be here by the sea. Thankfully I followed that raven's wing and, with the assistance of all the gods and angels, my dream of returning here came true again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry, I just read your comment on my site. I thought you were writing about a spiritual dark night of the soul. Thanks for filling me in about the background to this poem. As you know I'm stuck in a place (and house) where I don't want to be and am hoping to change my circumstances later this year when my lease ends. I went through one some years ago and it was ravens that guided me out. Now I'm not seeing my situation as a dark night of the soul but more an extended time of greyness physically, emotionally and mentally. Still your poem inspires me that it is possible to shift this negative energy and find a better way of life. Thanks. Suzanne - Mapping Uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry that comment got messed up in my editing. It's meant to read that I went through a spiritual dark night of the soul some years ago and that now I'm stuck in a grey place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there be spirits here/ and there's no turning back... we each have our spirit that takes us towards the light, whatever that represents. Am so glad yours brought you to your home by the sea. I think the spirit (or our own will) responds to a true yearning and certainly, yours must have been deep and true. So glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spiritual journeys always lead you somewhere, often to a better place. Your journey is inspiring. The Raven is wise, and you definitely heeded her wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim the cheesesellers wife here. I’m very glad that you found this poem again. It is wonderful, and reading it as I turn another year earlier has had great meaning for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry, I enjoyed your poem today. These lines especially resonated with me.
    "It is frightening:
    Nothing will ever be the same again.
    It is liberating:
    Nothing will ever be the same again."
    I am afraid and hopeful for our future.
    Thanks for sharing the added bits of info at the end.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, I am glad you followed the call...sometimes one must venture into the unknown to find ones place of destination. You have been blessed to find all the bones that have lead you to the place of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful discovery Sherry. We do well to listen when the spirit calls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when you lived away from the sea....I remember when you finally got there again...I couldn't believe it....it gave me a sense of real hope...I remember the feeling well ! Rall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Rall. I could hardly believe it myself. Smiles. I walk in wonder every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there is a raven speaking, one needs to listen!

      Delete
  13. Seeing a raven is always a wonderful omen, and one to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The raven is a wonderful omen and definitely a voice to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The raven is a wise omen. A wise voice to listen to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.