Thursday, July 21, 2022

The New Normal

 


There is cloud cover, this morning, as on
so many mornings this summer - better than
the heat which is setting towns and cities ablaze
across the world. Would we ever have dreamed
the world would be in such distress this soon,
with politicians setting target dates farther
and farther away, hoping it becomes
someone else's problem?
Now you are getting used to things
you never expected - the "new normal",
and it isn't normal at all.

Uvalde, a shooter at a 4th of July day parade,
rockets bombing civilians and towns into rubble,
poles melting, animals starving, people dying
of heat, from floods, from drought and famine.

But yesterday I went to the local animal rescue
and volunteered. I met a diffident white wolf
whose trust has been broken a time or two.
I looked into his wolfy eyes. He doesn't know
what truly belonging somewhere even means.
I will go back and walk him. I will hope
his forever person finds him and teaches
his watchful brown eyes to shine.

There is a bird that can only be heard
by someone who has come to be alone.
That someone is me, content in my silent rooms,
my silent life, ears tuned for birdcall
and ocean roar. Grateful that this moment
is peaceful, and Enough, and knowing
all too well, watching the news, that,
at any moment, everything I am used to
and take for granted
can be gone.


Inspired by Into the Mystery by Tony Hoagland - the italicized words are his.

2 comments:

  1. That is the hardest thing to swallow, isn't it- that all that we take for granted can disappear within our lifetimes - sooner than we think. And we are letting it happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you are always on the lookout for wolfie dogs. Smiles.

    But yes, what we call the 'new normal' really doesn't have a normal feel to it at all. Sigh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.