Friday, July 1, 2022

LOVER OF THE SKY

 



I am a lover of the blue sky.
Perfect clouds
like a dream sail by;
of a green walk in the wild wood;
of tall trees dripping on me
where I stood;
of mist rising up where the river bends;
of the small sweet song
of a striped-headed wren.

I am a lover of the burning flame
lit for world peace
in hearts the same.
I am a lover of the morning sun,
already radiant the day begun.
I am a lover of the whale, leaping,
of the blue, blue hills
in the sunset sleeping.
I am a lover of the eagle's cry,
who sweeps and soars
without a Why.
I am a lover of life alone,
of the heart's peace
when it's at home.

I am a lover
of my old dog's smile,
of his warm brown eyes,
of his lack of guile.

I am a lover of the warm spring rain,
of the smell of earth stirring
to life again.
I am a lover of the ocean's roar,
of the sandy beach stretching all before.
I am a lover of rock and log,
of driftwood shapes
looming through the fog.
I am a lover of clouds, of stars,
of the falling dark, of soft guitars,
of the meadowlark,
of the summer breeze,
of days of struggle, days of ease,
of heartfelt love
gone away too soon,
of goodbyes
under a slice of moon.

I am a lover of fresh-cut grass,
of children's laughter,
of dogs I pass, of babies all
innocence and rapture,
of the bent and aged who tremble after,
of the falling leaves,
of a job well done,
and I am a lover of beasts that run,
of water that moves
and creates its own way,
of the journey made
and the price I pay.

I am a lover of brand new books,
those journeys that
I never took.
I am a lover of music that sings
songs of the heart, the hope it brings,
and the flight of poems
for a brand new dawn
that knows this life
is Moving On.

Like the heron, stalk-still
at the water's edge,
makes a sudden leap,
I am the same.
Poised to dive from a tilting ledge,
the horizon lit with a golden flame,
I'm waiting
to hear Someone
call my name.


An old one, written in 2002. Sharing with earthweal's open link

5 comments:

  1. That last verse is beautifully heartbreaking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem Sherry. Hope you don't hear that call yet......

    ReplyDelete
  3. To sing of what one loves is to write a gratitude list, something to show the heart's scale in a loving world. It's something to take into Eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! Please give this to your favorite children's book illustrator! I want to buy copies for several children I know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.