Saturday, July 16, 2022

9 Things About July 16, 2022

 



1.     The rain washed most of the dust and pollen off the car, so I can put off washing it a while longer.

2.     The tourists are all sitting indoors by electric fires; the locals are walking their dogs on the beach. We're used to rain. You can tell the tourists from the locals - they wear matching expensive all-weather gear. The locals wear worn and shabby clothing, and big smiles, because we get to live here all year round, and the tourists pay thousands of dollars for just a few days.

3.     A wildfire is burning in Lytton, the town that burned to the ground last year.

4.    A small finch is sitting on the hydro wire, surveying the morning.

5.     The Great Salt Lake in the U.S. has dried to a parched sandy desert. They say tens of thousands of birds who depend on it for food and rest during migration will die.

6.     The potted blooms out front are soggy and rain-soaked; they droop. They need sun. But, just like us, they do their best under current conditions. They were planted; their mandate is to grow.

7.     The days move slowly and peacefully. The weeks speed by. I grow older every day.

8.     I have a To Procrastinate list that I know by heart: memoir, clean the pantry, wash the car, tie up some essential loose ends. Each day I move the list to tomorrow.

9.     As the world grows more clamorous, I grow quieter and quieter. I Become the Observer. I have given up insisting humanity do better; it will do as it will. My grief for Mother Earth and her non-human creatures is an ache that never leaves.

Inspired by 9 Surprising Things Worth More Than This Shimmering Metal by Hannah V. Norman.


2 comments:

  1. I really do like this kind of writing because it gives a glimpse into the poet's thoughts. Lucky you that the rain came and washed your car for you. Smiles. I understand the "To Procrastinate" list. I have the same kind of list for myself. I have managed to do a few things though. #7 is oh so true. Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow quieter and quieter. I Become the Observer.... I find this is true of me too, Sherry. I don't know if this is my acceptance of things or just plain giving up. But I love this form and will make my own list- totally inspired. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.