Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Things I Have Loved

 


The sky, ever-changing in colour and mood,
in sun, in starshine, in midnight moons.
The river wild, remembering my old
wolf-dog's eyes looking helplessly at me
as the current caught him,
and he started drifting away,
me getting ready to
plunge in after him, till an outcropping 
caught him, returning him to me.
For I have loved him best
in this world.

I have loved mornings, the certain smell
at the farm that takes me back to
summer mornings as a child; and that
golden time in late afternoon, when 
the light changes and turns the trees
to amber; and that smell - petrichor -
just before the first drops of rain,
and once more I am back in childhood,
listening to a thunderstorm
in the back room
with my Grandma.

Sunrises and sunsets, which I miss 
in my elder years, because I am always
still tired, when I wake up, and
too tired at day's end.
But I remember, I remember, skies
that looked like the floor of heaven,
me sitting on a log, wondering
if the one I loved loved me.
He didn't, but my wolf-dog did;
he showed me how love was
meant to be done.

I love the tiny purple crocuses 
out on the lawn, brave forerunners,
as spring tiptoes in,
just waiting to spread her skirts
of white blossoms across 
the two old cherry trees
in the yard. I love
sitting out front in the sun, and rocking.
I love the big window through which
I watch the world walking by
with its children and dogs and canes.
I love when they wave and I wave back.

I love that on Valentine's Day
I woke up to discover that
someone unknown had taped small hearts
all across  the front windows - love,
to make a stranger smile.
I love the narcissus and tiny pink rosebuds
on my desk, bringing spring right to me,
with months of wonder yet ahead.

I love ancient old growth: thick weathered
trunks and old man's beard, moss and lichen,
and feeling in the forest like I once did
long ago at morning mass:
silent, peaceful,
reverential.
I love long sandy shores stretching
to forever, and the way my wolf dog and I 
walked them, wildly, joyously;
never again
would I feel so whole, so free,
after he was gone from me.

Inspired by "Things I Didn't Know I Loved" by Nazim Hikmet

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful list... warms the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful, Sherry. You have had a lot to love. So nice that you are seeing the beginnings of spring already, and also the valentine hearts on the windows. And I always love that photo of you and Pup!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, you have a heart that has loved deep. Your poem is beautiful and you have discovered the great gifts of life "love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. The valentine hearts, LOL. i think they sprang from your chest as you slept.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.