Wednesday, August 18, 2021

It's Just a Random Thought, But Could We Manage No More Pain?

Wepna Loneagle image from Grandmothers Circle the Earth


It is twilight and, from where I sit, the world is peaceful and so beautiful. Yet wildfires rage, consuming towns; people and animals wild and tame are fleeing - the climate refugees of today, no politician cares to know their name - and in Afghanistan, people cling to the underside of planes, with desperation so extreme they'd rather lift off and fall from above than remain - like the falling bodies of 9/11 - better to die leaping than to burn.

Floods, landslides, earthquakes - everywhere is hurting. Yet our politicians are not talking about the fact our world is burning - they are spouting empty words hoping to gain more power, as if the Apocalypse isn't right outside our door. As if we believe their empty promises any more.

Yet, still, Mother Earth continues living in her dying: small furry things are born, gardens blossom (where they are not parched), and children remain hopeful that when they grow up, there will still be old growth trees, and air to breathe. It is amazing how much every living thing just wants to live.

Might we find a way to nurture life, instead of destroying everything for cash?

Night is falling. In a serene sky, out my window, I see a half-moon winking in at me.
I just don't want living things to suffer. I don't want animals to hurt or to flee wildfires, terrified and burning, their screams echoing across the landscape as the people evacuate in their SUV's.

I want we humans to be worthy of the gift of life we have been given, to tend the trees and gardens of the earth with gentle hands. I want us to be beings of life, not death, of care, not greed.
The way of extraction capitalism has brought us to the brink. If we work with Mother Nature to slow the pace of climate collapse and restore the devastation, it just might be possible to save this world, I think.

It is in nature that I find my peace, my solace, my comfort - it strengthens me to bear what I must bear. I am so grateful to Mother Earth. And so sorry she is suffering because of those blinded by greed and money.

Another poem for my prompt at earthweal which considers the world as it might have been - or still might be if we had leaders ready to ACT.


4 comments:

  1. Let us all be hopeful for the future and our mother earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'everywhere is hurting.' You said that exactly right, Sherry. I really feel it. Wherever I look there is pain, but there is also the beauty and gentleness of the earth reminding us that there is another way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sit .. stunned .. at the depth of this poem. Might we find a way? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it sister

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.