Monday, August 30, 2021

A World in Need of Shamans

 

Tonquin Guardian
by Christine Lowther

Slow the clocks. Let the day
dawn slowly, mind struggling
to balance the fast world
coming at me.

Become the Observer,
the mystic said, and I do.
I observe a world that
has lost its centre,
a world in need of shamans.
I grow slower, and more silent,
in response.

During the years
when my children were growing,
each spinning off into danger,
far from my protection,
I learned how to Be a Tree,
strong at my centre to support them,
flexible with my wavy arms,
so we could lean and bend
and sway with the times.

Old age is Deep Time.
The seasons have brought forth
what harvest there is. There is
time to reflect, to walk in
an old growth forest,
commune with the Ancient Ones,
breathe in connection,
breathe out peace.
I am as tired and slow
as an old elephant,
just from Remembering.

Slow the clocks. Let the sun 
set at the shore inch by inch,
as we ponder all we have learned
by the end of the day.


for Brendan at Earthweal where we are considering: Slowness, a state with which I am very familiar.


8 comments:

  1. We have much to learn from you ... I breathe in your old growth forest and connect; and breathe out slowly. Lean and bend, learn and tend. Great response to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you have depicted slowness. The way your poem flows is like a draught of slow reflection. I love the idea of sitting an ancient forest breathing in the stillness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Slow the clocks. Let the sun
    set at the shore inch by inch"
    I feel the plodding, then stillness, a rhythm that allows us to "commune with the Ancient Ones,
    breathe in connection,
    breathe out peace."
    This is my new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Sherry. I can identify with the

    'mind struggling
    to balance the fast world
    coming at me'

    I, too, will need to learn to 'Be a Tree.'

    I can also identify with the idea of old age as Deep Time, because there already seem to be so many layers to life that I can't quite get a handle on them. My mind races faster than the world sometimes - thank you for helping me slow it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have captured the slowing growth process but, with age comes great wisdom just like those ancient trees you commune with, tending your saplings with love.

    I often commune with the trees, stones and the basic elements of water and air. I am currently learning the directions of up and down with currently runs through the N, S,E and W. It is opening a new dimension of thought.

    You are a tree of great strength and beauty, changing with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sherry for sharing this great stillness with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the tree analogy. Firmly planted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Brendan said!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.