Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Red Shoes


I know there is a thing about women and shoes,
but I seem to be missing the gene.
So when I talk about footwear, it has to be
about non-shoes.

What I wear: Crocs, for slipping on and off
when I walk a dog, or calf-high Muck Boots
for going out to the barn to muck a stall
or give the horses carrots.

I own one pair of runners at a time,
wide, like a flat-bottomed boat,
which slip and slide.
I replace them every several years
when the soles have worn off.

My daughter did not get her sense 
of style from me. She wears:
combat boots for Kicking Serious Ass,
strappy silver Mary Janes, for when she's Feelin' It,
platform heels to fitness shoes,
and all that lies between.

When we go out, beside her tall, beautiful elegance,
I feel like the frizzy-haired Witch Down the Lane.
I cackle a little louder at such times:
sheer bravado.

Yesterday I met an old hippy over in Coombs.
With twinkling eyes, we recognized each other;
(it must have been our long and frizzy hair.)
He told me he was in Haight-Ashbury Back In the Day,
that he wore thigh-high leather boots
in which he promenaded.

Back in the day, I lived one block down
from the gorgeous hippies on Fourth Avenue,
existing in a parallel polyester lifestyle,
pushing a buggy full of babies,
inside the straitjacket of a conventional marriage
in which I didn't fit,
not one little bit.
I had just missed that Freedom Bus
by fifty seconds.

My big unweildy free spirit
kept bumping up against its confines
till the madwoman finally escaped from her prison
and was no longer mad.

Then I pushed my buggy of giggling babies
down the hill, hippety-hopping,
laughing and leaping,
heading us all to
a happier life.

My spirit never tried
to stuff itself back into
that little box again.

The only red shoes that ever spoke to me
were Dorothy's, on that journey she made
away from and back to herself,
finding the power she had always had inside her.

I have worn the soles off a lot of running shoes
this lifetime, walking through some of
the most beautiful landscapes in the world.
All I ever needed was a pair that fit me,
that would carry me into the wilderness I love.

How many pairs do I have left?
There's no way to tell. But one thing I know:
when music from those years calls to my spirit,
I can still kick them off, and dance a lick or two
across my empty room.


for Sarah at dVerse: Seeing Red

12 comments:

  1. I loved the story of your poem! I kicked those red 3-inch heels long ago! Yes. Crocs rock--but for me, the sandals. My feet no longer feely comfortable in any other shoes. Thanks for your tale..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun - and a lovely unfolding tale - laughing here on a rainy afternoon in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not a shoe girl either, Sherry, and I prefer slippers and boots in cold weather, bare feet and comfy sandals when it’s hot. I did have some Crocs some years ago, but I kept having accidents in them. My daughter is the opposite too! This poem made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you look at life through the medium of shoes. I'm glad you've walked through so many beautiful places - I'm sure you've lots of pairs of shoes left in you. This story meanders like a good walk, not sure what's round the next corner, but know it's going to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many pairs do I have left?

    What a wonderful metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this... so much sense in sensible shoes, I do like my shoes, but it's always function before form

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be nice to have a pair of red shoes like Dorothy's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like the verse about Dorothy's red shoes...central to your story. Keep walking, Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never getting stuck again is the key. I haveslways had a fondness for Dorothy’s ruby slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I love the buoyant spirit in this - clever and droll - declaration of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to walking beside a beautiful, stylish daughter while I demonstrate what it looks like to value comfort. Love this poem, how you tell your story while focusing on shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.