Saturday, March 14, 2020

Black Apples and the Kiss of Awakening



She was a Black Queen,
her black velvet cloak trimmed with ermine,
her black wizened heart and gimlet eyes
brooding over a world of darkness
where she would never, not ever,
be the fairest of all.

The young innocent beauty
of the King's daughter vexed her.
Just one slice of the black apple
sent the princess into a mortal swoon.

The Black Queen instructed six ravens
to carry the girl deep into the forest
and place her on a bier of thorns,
where the girl awaited
the Kiss of Awakening.

When the Princess's eyes opened,
she was Woke.
Now a Mighty Girl, she roared
back to the castle on her Harley,
locked the Black Queen into a dank dungeon,
toppled the Orange King off his throne,
and ruled, mightily,
until her face sagged
and her eyes grew dim.

Then it was time
to polish another apple,
eat one perfect slice,
and return to a dimly remembered,
but peaceful,
Golden Slumber.


for Shay at The Sunday Muse where we contemplate black apples.

18 comments:

  1. A fresh and delightful take on the photo and sleeping beauty Sherry!! That Harley and her awakening into a mighty girl makes it even more wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, you had me sold when I got to the Harley line. It reminded me of Shania Twain's 2012 entrance to the CMT ceremony riding her motorcycle right onto the stage.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've drooled over several but I only ever had a Honda bike and a Vespa scooter. I keep paying to have the "M" on my drivers licence but time is s out to catch up with me.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Yes, Yes .. 'when the Princess's eyes opened, she was Woke'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh about the Harley, a wild and free spirit. I think it is good to have an awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is this! A modern retelling for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't keep a good woman down! Nicely done, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the thread of triumph and might have cheered at the image of the orange king rolling down the throne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the Princess's eyes opened,
    she was Woke" -- great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I applaud that she rode her Harley to topple the orange king! Well earned Golden Slumber!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this dream - getting rid of the orange king. I sigh.
    I love your writing and imagination in this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! The creativity simply pops in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can dream, can't we? Love the Mighty Girl imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Harley riding world changer who doesn't wait for a prince... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A truer fairytale, so well done, Sherry. Toppling the Orange King is number one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your queen had a curious reaction to the black apple too. I like when she Woke.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.