Monday, September 9, 2024

PRAYER



When my heart has no words,
when there is too much to pray for
and not enough hope
in the world
to right all the wrongs,

When wildfires are burning
as the climate naysayers say nay,
I walk my speechless heart
into the forest
to try to find my way.

Each tree
a living prayer,
offering balm and breath
to the soul-weary.
Each birdcall a note of hope
in the planetary song
humankind has
gotten wrong.

When my heart has
only tears,
and there is too much to pray for
and not enough faith
in our leaders
to find my way,
I let the trees pray for me,
Breathe their peacefulness
into my being,
Listen to all
they have to say.

Each tree
a living prayer,
each human adding either
dark or light
to the planetary plight.


for my prompt at What's Going On?  How we find balance in a chaotic, divided world. I am fortunate to live in a rainforest (though global warming has changed its weather patterns drastically, and we now experience drought), and beside the sea. A walk along the beach washes all worries from my brain, and all is peace and beauty, as far as I can see. But there is beauty everywhere, and any tree or body of water offers the same magical properties to those who seek their peace.




9 comments:

  1. I love this, Sherry! Thinking of each tree as a living prayer really inspires me. A forest is such a rejuvenating place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature, poetry, kindness... that's all we can cling to...not so much to hope as to cope...it's true each person is adding dark or light and it does seem daunting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "when there is too much to pray for
    and not enough hope"
    The trees multiply prayer I think. Such a beautiful poem, showing where strength and endurance comes from. Thank you for reminding me of "the peace of wild things."

    ReplyDelete
  4. " walk my speechless heart
    into the forest
    to try to find my way." Each one of us has to find this 'my way' to stay balanced. The only way to deal with life. This poem is a little room to shelter the weary souls. So beautiful Sherry. I love those prayerful trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the trees are there for us and perhaps we can be there for them too - to offer up a prayer to the universe - a beautifully reflective poem - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trees and water are so important for balance, Sherry, and I am also fortunate to benefit from both. These lines chime with me:
    ‘I walk my speechless heart
    into the forest
    to try to find my way’
    and
    ‘Each tree
    a living prayer,
    offering balm and breath
    to the soul-weary.’

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trees are a sanctuary in nature and their whispers a prayer when we need it most. Beautifully expressed. Carry those leaf filled messages always. Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each tree is a living prayer! I think our word mesh and collilde.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think trees have a bigger or more imaginative fan than you, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.