Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Willow Weep

 


It wasn't failure, all those things
that didn't work out. It was living:
stumbling, learning, starting again.

We didn't make it much more than a year,
but the love did: the memory of you above me,
on that hillside among the yellow flowers,
your dark eyes, blue sky behind you,
the picture perfect clouds.

You visited me in dreams after you died,
telling me you understood that when
I told you I would love you forever,
I told the truth, even though
we never spoke again
in person once we said goodbye.

In dreams, we were together again
and this time we knew it was love,
as we had been
too fear- and sorrow-filled to believe
all those years past, that long-ago summer
full of weeping willow and your dark eyes,
a love that danced forward, then stepped back,
two souls who had no idea how to trust
that anything could last, those songs
we left unsung, a time
when you, and the world, and love
and I were young.

Inspired by "Failing and Flying" by Jack Gilbert.

3 comments:

  1. when you, and the world, and love / and I were young... how sad and beautiful...those memories that made us are everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poetic and moving symbiotic line: " ... a love that danced forward, then stepped back".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, this truly is one of my favorites of your poems. It is so real, open, filled with good memories and heartbreak and thoughts of what might have been if only.... This poem really touched me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.