Friday, January 26, 2024

Confluence of Quiet Hearts

 


digitaltrends.com

There are many worlds:
a woman on a beach, who has lived
for seven decades; the dog who poked
his long snout into her pocket,
nosing for treats; the dog's guardian,
smiling as he walked him away;
an eagle, landing on the topmost scrag;
somewhere, far out, whales, 
making their journey north.

I have survived some things:
pain, loss, betrayal, abandonment,
fire, rejection, heartbreak,
a beloved's death.
Love, laughter, big magic,
gifts, gratitude.

Back then, we sang Blackbird
in the dead of night. How I loved
your blackbird heart.

This is a way of surviving:
we remember - the laughter, the hope,
the pain, the tears, the huge leaps
that changed our lives, the story,
like a river, flowing to the sea,
that caught us in its current
and buoyed us along.

There are many worlds:
this one is quiet, a heart in retreat,
turning from the chaos and crisis
of the world into this quiet room,
tapping out a message to whoever
will find it: drink in the beauty.
Hold onto peace.


Inspired by "Confluence of Rivers and Mouths" by Laren McClung. The italicized lines are hers.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, there are indeed many worlds! And you have touched on many aspects of them. I like the image of the dog poking his snout into the pocket, and I love the ending -- Hold onto peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How I loved
    your blackbird heart." WOW. I can picture that dog, and whose pocket was being rifled! And Mary is right, that last moment of the poem, sublime. (I tried to reply to your comment on my blog, but Wordpress wasn't cooperating today...)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.