Tuesday, August 1, 2023

A TOTEM RAISING AT NAA'WAYA'SUM GARDENS

Today was a special day, when a totem was raised at Naa'Waya'Sum Gardens. This link will take you to the beautiful surroundings I am privileged to live in. This totem is a sister pole to the one raised in Opitsaht last year. Carver Joe Martin explained that the pole represents our responsibility to care for Mother Earth to the seventh generation.


Before the lift
Carver Joe Martin on the right with his daughter Gisele

Lifting the pole


Ropes to hold totem steady

Our Member of Parliament Gord Johns
with a big smile in the middle,
holding the rope to keep the totem steady
until the base is firmed and settled

Pounding dirt into the base to secure
the totem

Removing the ropes

The pole is up!

Beloved elder Levi Martin
who presided over the ceremony


Joe Martin explained the top of the pole is the sun; on the bottom is a bear. He said the bottom of poles are usually either wolf, bear or orca. The Martins are of the wolf clan, which made me perk up my ears, in love with wolves as I am. His daughter Gisele explained when bears swing their heads from side to side, what they are saying is "Which way are you going? Tell me and I will go the other way."

It was such a privilege to be on those beautiful grounds, watching this important pole raising. The Tla-o-qui-aht people are using the gardens as a way to educate people about their history, their customs, and to promote better understanding between settlers and the First People. I always feel so grateful to live here, on their territory. They have been guardians here for millennia.

It was a very special day.

AND of course, there must be a dog to make the day perfect!


The lovely Luna,
who smelled treats in my pocket at twenty yards,
and became my love slave


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you shared these photos, Sherry. What a wonderful event, and how great you were there to witness it. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the totem is absolutely amazing. I noticed the sun at the top right away. Did he say how long it took to carve this totem? You are indeed lucky to have been there for the raising on sacred ground. You are blessed, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, those are beautiful pictures; and I love Luna!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.