Friday, June 30, 2023

When Women Had Wings

 


Far back, in the time
when women had wings,
my foremothers flew.
They sat in council, governing,
around the communal fire.
Their eyes flashed; their utterances
were wise, and respected.
In those times, the waters ran clear,
and the land was bountiful.

In the crooning of the wind,
I hear the names this life has given me:
Walks Far Woman,
Woman Who Talks to Trees,
In Love With the Sea Woman, and
Daughter of the Sky.

Part of me has not yet
fully landed in this place.
My DNA still remembers
we come from particles of stars.
Our collective memory recalls those times,
when women had wings,
and our foremothers flew,
when living with the land
is what we knew.



A poem from 2014. I was reminded of it while reading If Women Rose Up Rooted by Sharon Blackie. Here is a quote:

"If women remember that once upon a time we sang with the tongues of seals and flew with the wings
of swans, that we forged our own paths through the dark forest while creating a community of its many inhabitants, then we will rise up rooted, like trees.........then women might indeed save, not only ourselves, but the world."


Time for women to rise up. Time for the walls of misguided patriarchy to crumble. For the sake of the children and all earthlings.

8 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful poem, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, at your very finest when describing the essence, the mystery, the power of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I keep a photo file of images, usually fashion related, that strike my fancy, these are decades old and I have no idea where they came from .. only hope I am not headed for copywrite infringement jail.

      Delete
  3. Wow.. this poem is still completely on point.. and a potent message..those walls of patriarchy need to shatter. Wonderful, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the terrors of a burning Earth mount and rage, this sweet old pure voice can still be heard. The US Supreme Court is showing how a shriveled small patriarchy can yet crush the world in its hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What price the WHO? I'm not really trying to bicker about which side's "shriveled small patriarchy" is worse. They're both bad.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.